It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
(female)

karen7 HB User
Post Extraction Pain 3 Weeks Later?

I had 2 lower molars extracted 3 weeks ago. No dry socket and it looks fine. I was put on antibiotics from the beginning and kept the area very clean, salt water, all the instructions. Every now and then the area hurts. Also, one part is sore to the touch. I also see a litle gray area under the gum which someone who works for a dentist told me it's an amalgam stain from an old filling. Is it normal to get a pain, like a toothache feeling in the extraction area this much later? It is not constant at all, just every now and then I feel it then it goes away. Is this because the bone is healing, growing in?

Old 06-23-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Re: Post Extraction Pain 3 Weeks Later?

It's not uncommon for an extraction site to be tender for weeks, if not a few months. I had my wisdom teeth taken out years ago and that area is sometimes tender to this day. Did you have a follow up appt. with your dentist or oral surgeon, who extracted the teeth? It's probably best to go in again, if just to alleviate your anxiety. Sometimes, after dental work, so many nerves become irritated, that it takes awhile for everything to heal. Never let severe pain go unchecked, and, if you develop other symptoms, like swelling or redness; etc. it's possible you might have a bone infection. But, like you said, the pain thus far comes and goes. Give it some more time, but call you doctor, for reassurance. A good dentist will be supportive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

karen7 HB User

wmkcolors, thank you so much for the reply. I did go for the checkup a week later and had the stitches taken out. I called today and am going there in a few hours. I hope he will know what's going on. I read the post about osteomyelitis and it scared me to death. I imagine I would be having pain all day which I don't It's just one little spot on the gum that's tender when I touch it. I don't know if it's customary for the oral suregon to take an x-ray if the patient has any pain like I describe. Maybe there's a bone chip there...how would they know if they don't do an x-ray? I just hope he knows what's causing this as I am so anxious I can't think of anything else. Your explanation helped relieve my anxiety for now a little. Every website says soreness can last for 2 weeks, no one says 3 yet my cousin said hers still hurt a little after 3 months when she eats and you said the same thing. I wish the post-op instructions would be more thorough. Thanks again and I will let you know what he says.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
(female)

singsong HB User

karen7,

I too had almost the same problem. I had tooth #32 extracted (molar-lower left quadrant) extracted and it was way back in my cheek area. The site looked fine and the doc said it was healing well. I went for the post-op appt 1 week later and then again 31 days later because of that same really sore spot you speak of. It almost felt like a hard bump on a ligament or something and was to the side of the site! Anyhow,
if I left it alone it did not hurt because it was kind of covered in by the inside of my fleshy cheek but it was REALLY sore. I just took advil and the great healer-salt water and today, 34 days later it is going away!

Yours will too. Hang in there!

Old 06-24-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
(female)

karen7 HB User

Thank you singsong. I went yesterday and he said it's healing well. He also said "It's not normal to still be feeling sore". I don't know why he said that. Surely some patients come back and say they are sore. He said he has never seen this. That didn't make me feel any better. Everyone I speak to says it took a month or more. Some people couldn't eat on that side for months and some couldn't get a bridge made for a long time because of the soreness. Guess I have to play this by ear and see if it stops. Every now and then I still get a mild pain (not soreness...like a toothache) for a minute and then it goes away. I had 2 teeth extracted and I know I should expect some discomfort. Just that I read so many scary things and think it will happen to me. Thanks so much for your comforting post, I appreciate it and glad you're ok now.

Closed Thread