It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #1

Dokie HB User
Front Tooth root canal

I have had sensitivity in one of my front teeth for years. Whenever I had a sinus infection, afterward the tooth would hurt for several days, then stop for a few months. Then on and on the cycle would go. My dentist told me 5 years ago that the tooth was a darker yellow than the other beside it, which meant somewhere along the way the tooth had been damaged and that I'd have to eventually have a root canal.

So after my recent allergy attack, the pain persisted for several weeks and I broke down and had the root canal 3 days ago. I go back for the temporary crown in a week and a half.

My question....the pain I've always had with this tooth is in my gum and under my nose and right up to it, and all the way into the right side of my face. After the root canal, that pain is still there. The only difference is the tooth doesn't hurt. I'm on an antibiotic. This is my first experience with a root canal, so I'm not sure what to expect. I didn't expect the facial pain to still be around though.

Also, he did the root canal through the front of my tooth, and patched the hole. I've been reading online a bit about some people NOT getting crowns on the front tooth. Is this even an option? I'm a little scared of getting the tooth filed down and capped.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
(male)

parabellum HB User
Re: Front Tooth root canal

if the tooth was bothering you for such a long time, there may be a chronic infection around the root tip in the bone.
have you seen the x-ray that your dentist took? if not ask him to show you the x-ray.
was there a dark circle at the root tip? if there is one, and if it is of significant size,
there is chance that it will never disappear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #3

Dokie HB User

I did see the x-ray but didn't see what you are talking about. They had the infection marked and pointed it out but I didn't see a dark circle.

He told me it might take a couple of weeks for the pain to calm down, but I didn't expect the facial pain to persist like this.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
(female)

erikandvp HB User

I am not sure which front tooth is involved, but generally the sinus will put pressure only on the back top teeth. Have you checked for a growth in the anterior jaw? That area is known to have tumors grow there. Sometimes extra teeth may be impacted up in the jaw as well. Have some good xrays of the front, like a panorex taken.
If you have a lot of tooth structure and a good bite, you don't always need a crown on the front tooth after a root canal, but you would with back teeth. Wait on the crown until the pain/pressure is solved.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:53 PM   #5

Dokie HB User

I had the area checked today by the dentist because I found a knot up above the tooth at the top of my gumline up near my nose. He said it's scar tissue and it should go away within a month or so. He's keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get bigger instead. He said the x-rays look good he did today.

All of the pain is gone now except if I move my lip "just right" I can feel the pressure from the scar tissue, or if I press on it from the outside. It's tender, but isn't a severe pain.

Closed Thread