It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
(male)

jrauthfeyda HB User
Question Antibiotics for Mouth infection(tooth and gums)

I suffer from adult periodontal disease, and currently have a very painful and inflamed infection in about 3 or 4 different places in my mouth where I have a tooth that is over 75 % gone at or just above the gumline.......
There is a lot of swelling and some puss. What I would like........
......Is some information regarding what antibiotics, if any, would be the most effective against this type of infection.....I have no money or insurance for a Dental visit, so needless to say, my options are few.......
But I do have some SEPTRA antibiotics (prescribed to me) for a testicular infection that I ended up not having.......
IS SEPTRA A SAFE/EFFECTIVE ANTIBIOTIC TO USE AGAINST PERIODONTAL
DISEASE????????
I sure would appreciate any knowledge. wisdom or advice on the matter....

Thank You.......

J

Old 07-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User
Re: Antibiotics for Mouth infection(tooth and gums)

J,

I have no idea if that antibiotic will or will not work for the type of infection that you have going on in your mouth, but I will tell you that you need to find some way to get to a dentist. Most dentist have financial plans and will work with you.

I had what I thought was just the beginning of an abcess above one tooth, I was in no pain, very little swelling in the area of the gums and no discoloration. I ended up with loosing all my teeth and a good portion of my upper and lower jaw bone from a bone infection.
Get to the dentist, check to see if a dental school is in your area, their rates are less expensive and they may be able to determine exactly what the cause is and get you the proper antibiotics.

Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
(female)

RachelmLo HB User

I've Never even HEARD of that antibiotic! The best advice is see a dentist ASAP! Only they can determine what medication will work best for you. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Septra is given for bacteria infections maybe other reasons too but I only personally know from my experience....stay out of the sun if it is your first time trying it, some people get a bad rash. Usually for mouth infections I've noticed amoxaxillin or penicilin but who knows each doctor/dentist is different.

good luck

chatty

Ok I just re-read your post please go to a dentist don't self medicate yourself please!!!

Last edited by chatty8484; 07-07-2005 at 09:03 PM.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:30 AM   #5
(female)

CTmom HB User

CARAT414,

Do you mind if I ask what your symptoms were with your jaw infection?

I have been going crazy for several months now trying to get a diagnosis for recurrent lower jaw pain. I have had the wisdom tooth in that area pulled and have two crowns on the two back molars. Several years ago I had the same pain, they removed both crowns and teeth were checked by dentist and endo. and found to be fine. The pain lessened after about six months and I've been just living with it until this latest flare about two months ago. Along with the pain I get night sweats, low fevers and swollen lymph nodes intermittently. I do wear a night guard for grinding. Have seen dentist who took two sets of x-rays two months apart which showed nothing. Endo. also looked at teeth again and said they were fine. The pain is not in my teeth, it is in the jawbone below these teeth. Sometimes my throat on that side hurts also. Two rounds of antibiotics have done nothing. It is a dull pain that waxes and wanes and can be made worse by bending over or sleeping on that side (but these are the bottom, not top teeth so sinuses do not make sense). Chewing does not make it worse.

I've been to my primary Dr. and two ENTs and am scheduled to see a third next week. Salivary stones have been ruled out with a CT scan. Interestingly, I just had a filling last week on this lower side and numbing the teeth did not affect the pain in my jaw at all (and he had to inject me four times to get me numb!). I'm really at a loss and I think the doctors are thinking I am crazy. I just want the pain to go away! I was just wondering what your symptoms were initially with the bone infection and how was it diagnosed? Thanks for your help!

Old 07-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
(female)

CK40CK HB User

As one who is suffering from periodontal disease, you MUST not let this go without seeing a dentist probably better yet a periodontist! Listen you can find a dentist or a perio who will work out a payment plan. My periodontist said to me point blank you don't want to lose your teeth. They are so important to your overall health. I know it is expensive but do not put it off, go to the dentist, in fact skip the dentist get to the periodontist, we only get one set of teeth, and you know no matter the cost you are worth it!!!Please go asap.

Best of luck!!!

Last edited by CK40CK; 07-08-2005 at 05:38 PM.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

My case was a little different then most and was caught at a very early stage. I only had a small abcess, it had no pain, the teeth in the area had no real pain or sensitivity to hot or cold. I did have a tightness in my jaw, and I had a constant fever for several days prior, I was also excessively over tired. I had a popping noise in my right ear, that I only recently discovered from someone on this board that it was a symptom. I do know that their is another thread that is from a woman who is still suffering from alot of the more common side effects.
My infection was diagnosed through an accumalation of several tests. The day of my dental appt. which was the day prior to my surgery, they numbed me up and did bone scrappings and took gum samples. I had several vials of blood drawn at one lab and then they sent me to another lab and I had an MRI, and a PET scan. So in truth I am not sure exactly what test it was that gave them the positive results that they were looking for. It is still all a plur to me.
I had been to a previous dental office a week prior for antibiotics because my dentist was out of town, and they did a routine set of xrays. It was between those first xrays and the xrays that my regular dentist did the following week that alerted my dentist that something was wrong with my jaw bone though. The damage the infection had done in just a week was quite extensive which is why when the surgical team suggest that they remove my jawbone and my teeth my husband agreed. I honestly do not remember any of these conversations. I think I was in shock.

I hope that this helped you some, good luck

Casey

Closed Thread