It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
(male)

jtrainor HB User
Red bump on gum

Hi, all, first post here >.>

Anyways, about six years back I had a root canal done on one of my teeth-- one of the ones in the back, second or third from the end, on top. They really went all-out on this one-- put in a post and a big metal tooth now replacing it.

In the past couple days, I just noticed a bump on the front of the gum right above it. It doesn't hurt unless I press on it, but it feels kinda soft and squishy.

Any ideas what it could be?

I expect I'll probably have problems getting it treated too, since for some odd reason I have a dental phobia-- which really confuses me, since I didn't have one when I was younger. Basically they're able to get the Novocaine needles in just fine, but when the dentist leans over me with a drill, I just tense up and freak out and the dentist can't get any work done. Oddly enough this is not a problem for having my teeth cleaned O_o

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User
Re: Red bump on gum

Well from what you have discribe it sounds like an absess. An absess can be located above one tooth but the actual infection starting area in the tooth next to it. You really should make an appointment and get that checked out before you end up losing the tooth that is infected and other teeth around it.
Try taking a valium or something similiar before going in to the office. But please have someone drive you. You can tell your dentist about this phoebia and he might even give one to you. Just a thought.

Can you feel pressure up in your cheek area or anywhere else around the area??? Any pain???? You don't need to have these symptoms for it to be an absess just curious. Hope you are feeling better soon and let us know how it goes.

Casey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 03:01 AM   #3
(male)

jtrainor HB User

Heh, actually I've tried Valium before, and it didn't work.

I don't feel any pressure or anything, and it doesn't hurt unless I poke it.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

My fiance woke up with this 2 days ago. He went to the dentist yesterday to have it looked at and he said he wasn't sure what it was. He is referring him to an endodontist but in the meantime gave him penicillin. I think this is what they call a gum boil, which is in fact some sort of abcess. My fiance as well has his lump on the gum area above where he had a root canal several years ago. He , like you, is also petrified at having dental work, although he loves going to the dentist! He will have to take an anti-anxiety med just before the appt.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
(male)

jtrainor HB User

Sorry for a slow reply

Anyways, some time later, the bump has pretty much shrunk and gone away, though there's a kind of pit on the gum where it was (it's getting smaller by the day).

Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
(female)

courtenaynt HB User

Sounds like it could also be a fistula. It means there's an infection deep in your gum, or the jaw bone.

Even if it's going away, you should mention it to your dentist. The one I had got into my bloodstream I let it go so long.

Good luck.

Closed Thread