It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
(female)

elenar HB User
bonding half broken tooth

arial7

My 14 year old daughter broke half her front tooth. Has anyone ever had a broken tooth bonded back and how successful was it. How long did it last.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

deadsy HB User
Re: bonding half broken tooth

my younger brother broke half of one of his front teeth when he was about 9 years old. He went to the dentist and they were able to bond the tooth with something (I don't know whether it was the other half of his tooth, or a fake one) but anyway it is unnoticable. He is now 19 and hasn't had any problems. Hood luck with that!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
(female)

elenar HB User

Thanks for replying Deadsy,

Are you able to find out if they brought the tooth piece to the dentist from your mum, dad or brother and if that was actually used.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:06 AM   #4
(female)

thepenster060 HB User

i guess it depends how much was broken off. some bonding can last a long time, others can re break multiple times. in the long run a crown may be best.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

One of my front teeth is half bonded and because it is rather small, it tends to fall off every 3 years or so. (I also grind my teeth at night so I'm sure that doesn't help). They just re-do it, and it doesn't take long at all. I LOVE bonding!!!! It is a perfect match and absolutely unnoticeable.

P.S. I have never heard of using the broken tooth to fix the problem!

Old 07-24-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
(female)

elenar HB User

KitKat

Is the front tooth small or the amount of bonding small. So did you have a small chip on the front tooth and that is what fall off every three years. Or is half of your front tooth composed of composite.

Have you looked at wearing a mouth guard at night for your grinding

Old 07-24-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Hi, the tooth I have bonded is a large front one, and it's the bottom third that is missing. It is made up from the composite and you cannot tell the difference one bit. The fake part is the piece that falls off. I also have 2 molars that are made up almost entirely of composite which I plan on getting crowns for, in the near future. Those 2 look like real teeth as well, and the only reason I am crowning them is because my grinding has caused a hairline fracture in one of them.

My fiance has half of one of his front teeth bonded as well - his break was a little more than half the tooth. His bonding is more secure than mine because his tooth is made up of MORE composite than mine. It has only ever fallen off once in the 15 years he's had it.

I have a few little chips on other teeth but the dentist does not advise bonding those because the composites would fall off quickly, since they would be so small. The more bonding used, the stronger the hold.

Yes I have a night guard but I hate wearing it!!!!

Old 07-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
(female)

elenar HB User

Hi KitKat,

I suppose my daughters case is more like your boyfriends as half of her front tooth was fractured diagonally.

Was your boyfriends fractured horizontally or diagonally. Did they bond only or insert a rod. How is the colour of the bonding holding up after 15 years. Is your boyfriend careful with what he eats eg not bite into an apple.

After the fracture of you or your boyfriends upper teeth, did either of you have any orthodontic treatment and how long after.

We have been told to wait a while before proceeding as the tooth could die.

Closed Thread