It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

Terry Florida HB User
Can a damaged nerve recover and repair itself?

Last Friday I bit down and felt a bit of pain shoot through my upper tooth. It was ok until Sunday when it became very sensitive to cold and hot. It was really paining me, so the dentist said it was a cracked tooth and the nerve was dying. He gave me anti-biotics and pain pills with a root canal scheduled for Tuesday next week. Since yesterday, Friday and today Saturday, it has been feeling very little pain with no pain pills. Does anyone know if my tooth could have gotten any better on its own, and maybe I don't need the root canal after all? I was able to chew some gum on that side with very small sensations of almost pain. Thanks for any help or info you can give!

Old 07-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Warah HB User
Re: Can a damaged nerve recover and repair itself?

When a crack is present in a tooth biting down (especially on something hard/crunchy) will force the crack open, kinda like splitting a log. When the crack opens you feel the sensation (shock). Ultimately, however, microscopic bacteria leak into the crack and can affect the nerve. Most likely, your dentist will do vitality test prior to doing a root canal. A lot of times cracked teeth just need to get crowned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

What is a vitality test?
Thanks

chatty

Old 07-31-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Cinemagic HB User

It will not get better on its own. If the crack has extended to the nerve, a root canal will be necessary.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Thanks for filling me in.

chatty

Old 08-02-2005, 04:40 AM   #6
(female)

Terry Florida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker57
A vitality test is a test to determine if the tooth is alive or dead. My dentist uses this tool that I think has electrical impulses going through it. I dont mind when he puts it on a dead tooth ( I dont feel it ) but he always has to try it on a live tooth also, just to make sure the unit is working. Yikes.

Did he say it was abcessed? If so, the anti biotic can temporarily alleve the pain by getting rid of the infection, but as soon as you stop taking it, the pain will be back.
Thanks for the info. He didn't say whether or not it was absessed, but suspected it because it was getting worse from day to day. After 2 days of not feeling anything, I can now feel some sensitivity still there in the tooth, so it will probably still need the root canal. I appreciate the input and support, THANKS!

Closed Thread