It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #1

silverwolf0 HB User
Space maintainer, what should I do?

I have had a space maintainer for two years over a gap where a decaying baby tooth that for some reason had no permanent replacement. The space maintainer is the metal loop one that goes around one tooth and bridges to another one over the gap. The problem is, I have still yet to get use to the retainer loop that completely covers the sides of the tooth it is on and after only a month or two the cement will eventually wear off and my teeth will start to smell bad. I am worried about the health of my tooh as I don't want to lose another one and the underlying gums as the retainer touches down to it also. The question is, would it be advisable to just NOT have the space maintainer? I am about to go to college and don't want to have to worry about another thing. How bad will my teeth shift if I do remove it? Also, I was thinking of getting a removable maintainer as I just found they actually existed and my doctor never told me about them and he is a lying *******. What are your thoughts about removable ones? Any other suggestions? Any replies would be much appreciated.

PS: I acknowledge all disclaimers that this is a health board and therefore no one will be responsible for their replies.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #2

silverwolf0 HB User
Re: Space maintainer, what should I do?

Anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
(male)

dwhee HB User

My thought is that it is best to keep a retainer in place 24/7 to keep the space open until you can get a perm. tooth replacement (bridge, implant ect.). If you can do that with a removable appliance then ok. but most people fail at this. Yours may need to be remade as it may be contacting the gum too heavily. It also sound as if the cement may be brreaking down. Better to get it checked before you retutn to school

Last edited by dwhee; 08-04-2005 at 08:55 PM.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
(male)

Christai77 HB User

space maintainers are as you correctly said to keep the space for an adult tooth if a baby tooth is prematurely extracted. however if you are going to college are you sure there is even a tooth coming in? if you have had the space maintainer in for 2 years i doubt it is doing what it supposed to be doing as you've most likely grown in the last two years.

the band around the tooth is connected to a metal bar that should contact another tooth. if it isn't contacting another tooth, it isn't doing squat for you anymore .

bands are good at collecting food, but if you are religious about cleaning it i wouldn't get too worried about it.

if your space maintainer is working as it is supposed to be, there should be a permanent tooth already in (unless you are very very very delayed) which i doubt. you may be just missing that tooth and should consider an implant or bridge or some other restorative option to prevent tipping, super eruption etc.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #5

silverwolf0 HB User

Yea there seems to be a little confusion. I am not using the space maintainer to hold a place for a new tooth to grow. In fact, all my permanent teeth had already grown years ago. This teeth was a decaying baby tooth that my dentist removed and placed a space maintainer into it to preserve the space for when I wanted a crown or an artificial tooth drilled in. Now I really am not planning on getting a crown or an artificial one, so other then that, the only purpose the space maintainer serves right now is to keep my other teeth from moving into the gap. Now I personally don't trust my dentist. How "bad" do you think the malocclusion or whatever its called will be? will the gap make all my teeth spread so that every tooth has a gap inbetween and look really bad? If it isn't going to, I would rather just not have the space maintainer.

Closed Thread