It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
(female)

candycandy HB User
skin in my mouth is peeling!

for as long as I can remember, I've used the same toothpaste. then, my boyfriend brought home this whitening toothpaste, and I gave it a try. the skin inside my mouth, mostly the entire area under my lower lip, started peeling. it happened every time I brushed my teeth. so I switched back to my old toothpaste. this was about a year or so ago.

recently, i thought that my mouth felt a lot cleaner from using the whitening toothpaste, so I bought a tube. the same thing started happening.

this is driving me nuts... my next trip to the dentist won't be til next year, so I've decided to post here... besides, whenever I ask my dentist stuff, he always reassures me with stuff I know he just wants me to hear.

Unless someone tells me that the skin peeling is a good thing, I'm switching back to my good old Crest, even though I don't feel the burn after using it. I just need to know why why why the skin in my mouth is peeling!!! Or if anyone else has experienced something similar... please respond! I don't think its serious enough for me to throw away the rest of the tube, but I just need to know what's going on in my mouth.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User
Re: skin in my mouth is peeling!

Call the number on the packaging and see if they have a had similar reports?

Good luck!

chatty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
(female)

gretelsmom HB User

This happens to me whenever I use the Crest vivid white. I have no idea if its harmful. I only use it occasionally but it happens every time I use it.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

My niece cant use any of the toothpaste that contain alot of peroxide in it. It causes her gums to dry out some and they peeling begins. So it may be the same for you. Her dentist said that although its not dangerous or really an allergy he would prefer that she not use those whitening with peroxide toothpastes to prevent any problems from occuring.

I would just call the number on the back of the toothpaste as Chatty suggested or maybe give your dentist a call.

Casey

Old 08-11-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
(female)

candycandy HB User

whoa, I'm stunned to hear that I'm not the only one - I thought I was either going nuts, or doing something wrong! My gums don't dry out, though. I wonder what the Aquafresh guys will tell me if I accuse them of making my skin peel??? There is a number to call, and right above it says "if irritation occurs, discontinue use."

I guess I should discontinue use, because I am irritated.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
(female)

tictac HB User

Certain ingredients in some toothpastes can cause tissue sloughing in people. It's not necessarily a danger to you, but it's best to just stop using that type.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
(female)

vuitton HB User

This happens to me from mouthwash, its really weird....
My entire mouth sheds a layer, needless to say, I stay away from mouthwash.
Not a good look!

Old 08-13-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
(female)

candycandy HB User

Yes!!! TISSUE SLOUGHING!!! That's what I meant to say! That's exactly what I'm experiencing!!! I guess the inside of one's mouth really isn't called "skin", is it? So a thin layer of tissue sloughs off several minutes after I brush with this whitening toothpatse. And it happens every time I brush. That does it... I'm throwing it out... I asked my boyfriend if he wants the rest of it, and he said he didn't like it the first time.

But I do use mouthwash, and it doesn't happen then... must be the peroxide or whatever it is that whitens.... I mean, the active ingredient in mouthwash is alcohol, and lord knows that mouthwash is not the only source of alcohol that I put in my mouth!

I don't even think my teeth got whiter...

Old 08-14-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
(male)

MadeIn1984 HB User

Is the skin definitely peeling? Is the substance white-ish and mucousy? If so, it's probably not your skin, but rather your saliva's reaction to the active whitening ingredient in the toothpaste. It happens to me too and I totally freaked out the first morning I woke up with a mouth full of "skin".

It isn't harmful, but if it makes you feel uncomfortable, then you probably should probably stop using it.

Hope this puts some of your fears to rest.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:42 AM   #10
(female)

candycandy HB User

hmmm.... a mouth full of skin? Is the skin just floating around loose, or is it stuck to the sides of your mouth??? In my case, it's still attached to me, so I think it's skin...

My boyfriends brother told me that he had some bizarre film in his mouth after using mouthwash, and he noticed it when he was at work. When my skin peels, its within minutes after brushing.

I hope you're right about it not being skin, but I'm almost positive it is, since its very attached to my lip, and always in the same spot.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #11
(male)

somerandomkyguy HB User

I also use the vivid white toothpaste and experiencing the same thing. for anyone else that is experiencing this, when you rub the "skin" does some of it come off?

Old 08-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #12
(female)

candycandy HB User

I kind of peel it off with my toungue. If not, it'll just hang there. It comes off in little patches, maybe a centimeter or so. I've switched back to regular toothpaste, no fancy whitening, extreme cleaning, peroxiding junk for me!

Old 08-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #13
(male)

somerandomkyguy HB User

yea thats pretty much what i meant. has it worked so far?

Old 08-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #14
(female)

candycandy HB User

Definitely! The only time it peels is after using Extreme Clean Aquafresh or Advanced Whitening Aquafresh. I've had no problems since I stopped using those.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #15
(male)

somerandomkyguy HB User

thanks for the info, i just bought some arm & hammer toothpaste, hopefully that helps. what do you use now?

Closed Thread