It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
(male)

Gerard81 HB User
Question Wisdom Teeth Extraction- Bleeding

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed 4 days ago and the I am still bleeding. It is not excessive bleeding, only slightly. I am worried if I use a gauze it may lead to more bleeding and then a dry socket? Should I worry if the gums are oozing only a little bit of blood?

Old 08-16-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User
Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction- Bleeding

I still had fresh blood from a few of my extraction areas for up a week after my surgery. I also had some other extensive procedures done but I dont think that would matter. So long as it is not a lot of blood, the clots are still in the holes, and you are not in any pain I would wait a few more days before getting worried. I have a team of doctors and dentists and they were all aware that I had some slight bleeding and none seemed to give it any thought. I would not suggest using any gauze as it might dislodge the clot. Try gently rinsing your mouth out with warm salt water. If it continues for more then a couple more days I would suggest at least a phone call to your dentist.

Keep us posted.
Casey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
(male)

hipnotyk HB User

Just a little FYI...

If you're bleeding after a wisdom tooth extraction, it's probably looks like a lot but it isn't. It has something to do with the dispersal of red blood cells into saliva that can make a little blood look like a lot. If you're still using gauze and it's deep red and soaked I'd be worried, but if you're spitting a little bit and there's a lot of blood don't worry. I had my wisdom teeth taken out almost two weeks ago and I had blood in my saliva for about a week.

I stopped using the gauze the day after the surgery, sure, I swallowed a lot of blood those first 24 hours but it goes away after a while.

Good luck with the healing process, and I totally believe in the salt water treatment, it feels so good.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
(male)

Gerard81 HB User

Thanks for your advice. The bleeding has pretty much stopped, except for when I wake in the morning. My recovery is going pretty smoothly otherwise!

Closed Thread