It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 08:11 AM   #1

Maureen1andonly HB User
Smile FRIGHTENED-TOOTH ABSCESS & INFECTION

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Hello everyone...I am new to the boards. I live in the United Kingdom, so maybe our treatment or medications may not be quite the same as in America, but I hope someone may be able to give me some advice as I am now very frightened.

About four weeks ago, I started to feel very poorly; disorientated, detached and sick. I had a molar near the front of my mouth that had ached for around 12 months, which I stupidly had ignored, and this was hurting more, and I felt that it had something to do with how I felt. My doctor put me on tetracycline, but this didn't work and I ended up having emergency root canal work done on the tooth, and was told I had an abscess at the root. The dentist then put me on amoxicillin, but I had to go back two days later to have the tooth out as I was in excrutiating pain. The day after I had the tooth out I ended up in casualty (or ER?) as I felt so ill, and I was then put on co-amoxiclav for a week. I have taken these religiously, but I still feel very poorly. The tooth socket is healing well, but I am having hot, unpleasant sensations in my sinuses, and I don't feel very 'with it' at all......a bit woozy, unwell, and having a job keeping my eyes open. I have been back to the dentist yet again last night, and he took a full x-ray of my mouth and sinuses.

He said the socket was healing well, which is true, but the infection may have travelled to the sinus and facial area. He said there was no bone penetration when he did the root canal work. He has now prescribed metronizadole. I'm frightened of continually taking antibiotics, but also frightened of how I feel in myself. I have never felt so ill...this is definitely the worst thing I have ever suffered.

My husband is fed up of me and tells me I am exaggerating things. I truly am not, and I cannot impress upon him how I feel. It's not like bad toothache, but as I say, a hot feeling in my sinuses, heavy eyes and just feeling generally unwell. I don't have any swelling anywhere, and I can open my mouth fully without pain. It all seems further up in my head. I want to lie down all the while, and am struggling to do any work in the house (which upsets my husband even more). My doctor doesn't want to know, saying it's the dentist's problem .

Has anyone suffered with anything like this? Is metronizadole pretty good and should I just ignore my fears and get on with taking it? And what happens next if this doesn't work? I have felt as if I am going to die at times, I have to be honest. I just want to get well and I don't know how to go about it. Thank you for any help offered

Maureen [/FONT]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
(female)

Traumatized HB User
Re: FRIGHTENED-TOOTH ABSCESS & INFECTION

Hi there,
You are not alone...I felt like I was going to die a week ago. I was told I am a hypochondriac when I turned up at ER. My glands were swollen and as if I were pushing a stool thru them, my head filled up with fluid (it felt like that), I couldn't bend my head properly because of what felt like fluid at the bottom of my skull, I could hardly walk because my heart was affected and I thought it was going jump out, my head was splitting, my sinuses full and I was struggling to keep from getting carsick on the way. I have been posting here a lot under osteomyelitis - Susan, trying to get better...I was originally told I have TMJD, then that I don't, maybe osteo, and all the meanwhile it was my first molar which had been root canalled in March but troubling me since last July. The root canal failed and the infection has spread into my bone and into my body. Try reading up on Ludwig's Angina and have your husband read it too. I felt myself on the brink of that and I knew I was almost dead when I broke out into a rash around my neck, my neck seized up and went numb, my heart was struggling and my eyes were being forced to close as if my body wanted to pass out but I wouldn't let. I spent the last night before going to emerge keeping myself awake with coffee and tea because I felt so ill that I thought I might not wake up. Nobody believed me but I got the antibiotics I needed to help fight it. I am taking Cipronol and Benemicin (Rifampicinum) at maximum dosages but under no supervision at the moment because everyone thinks it is in my head. My dentist can see it on the x-ray but he is new so he doesn't know the whole tale, he just knows he has a tooth to save. I went through about 5 dentists in the past year and all failed to find the problem until this one so I feel comfortable and confident that if things don't improve, he will help out. Teeth are deadly and shouldn't be taken lightly but unfortunately, most doctors where I live, aren't aware of the dangers and even the symptoms of a dental infection that has gone too far.
It is not in your head. Just make sure you are on the right antibiotics at the right dose so that you don't have to keep going back on "new" ones. I am also taking something called Phlogenzym, I don't know if it is in the UK but it is definitely in Europe (I am in the CR). It is supposed to help heal dental problems and aid the digestion of antibiotics, make sure they really get to where they should be going.
Take good care,

Old 08-18-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

Hi Maureen,

Welcome to the boards.

I am one of the lucky ones who has a dentist that was able to diagnose my problem immediately and begin treatment.
I have/had osteomyelitis. It is an infection of the bone. I had a small abcess above one tooth, extremely tired and ran a low grade fever. I had been under a lot of stress the weeks prior so I figured it was that. WRONG
I had emergency surgery, placed on a picc line with antibiotics for 12 weeks and so far the infection shows non existent but they wont give me an all clear until I have been infection free for one year. If I had left it untreated my dentist claims that at the rate it was going I would have been brain damaged or dead in less then a week.
I am in the middle of reconstructive surgery to repair and replace the damage that the infection did. It is a very painful and time consuming process.

So, with that said, tell your husband that he really needs to be thankful that you are trying to find out the cause of your symptoms and he should be supporting you by doing everything in his power to help you. Infections in the mouth are serious. You sinus passages are located just above the roof of your mouth, and your brain is just behind that. If the infection did travel to the nasal areas you may want to see if a Ear Nose and Throat doctor would be able to help you more with those issues. In the meantime, take the antibiotics and if you have any more problems call your dentist or go to the emergency room.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Casey

Last edited by CARAT414; 08-18-2005 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Dyslexia strikes again

Old 08-19-2005, 10:35 AM   #4

Maureen1andonly HB User

Thank you for both of your replies :-) I don't think I am as bad as you have been, but certainly I have had a close call. I am going to make sure I take the antibiotics, and then see how it goes. If they don't work I am sure I will be at the hospital having tests to see where the infection has spread to. I know I will certainly not neglect my teeth again...a few minutes of discomfort if far, far better than this awful mess :-(

Thank you again...I will keep you updated as to what happens.

Maureen

Old 08-19-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Luxuria HB User

Maureen

How are you feeling today? I'm so sorry for everything you are going through. I had my root canal completed 2 months ago and everything went fine. I was very scared though as I am 21 and it was my first cavity EVER.

The best thing you can do is take your medication as directed by your doctor and if you are still sick then be sure to go back, maybe even get a second opinion from another doctor if you can.

Dont let your husband get you down, men can be so frustrating at times, can't they! I am getting married in 10 months. My fiancee thinks I over exaggerate a bit too because I can be a worrier. When I'm sick though, I make sure he knows it. Haha.

I hope everything turns out well for you and that you are feeling better very soon.
Keep us updated!

Bekah

Old 08-20-2005, 04:20 AM   #6
(female)

Newsome HB User
Thumbs down Re: FRIGHTENED-TOOTH ABSCESS & INFECTION

I have an appointment Monday at 12:30PM to have a bad tooth (bottom left molar) out. It's hurt on and off for a while but nothing major and it goes away. But it's been bothering me more than usual and I really feel like crud. Sometimes the lymph node on that side gets larger. My temp is all over the place from 96.7 to 98.5 (I usually have a pretty low temp.) I feel sick to my stomach all the time now since the other night. Tooth hurts intermitantly but I've got hydrocodone. I don't even want to take anything because I feel so nauseated, weak and dizzy. I just hope I'm well enough to get to the dentist Monday. And I'm going to make sure I get antibiotics. And as someone else said, I'm afraid to go to bed so I'm watching my endless collection of avi files on the computer. But I don't think I can do that until Monday afternoon. But that's why I'm posting at 5:20AM. That and my queasy stomach.

Sorry to hear so many others going through simlar stuff. Maybe we can start a support club.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
(female)

rockyclark1b HB User

Maureen
You need to take amoxicillin and metronizadole together for dental problems if they are really bad. 500mg/400mg tid for 5 days initially. Re Sinusitis. See your doctor and ask to blow into a pot and get a sample of the mucous sent to microbiology. Don't get a nose swab as it's your sinuses that are infected. That will identify the bacteria so you don't take the wrong medicines for months on end. Try different antibiotics (I hate it too) and if they don't work after 4 days then try another. Cefuroxime helped me initially. Ask for a referral to ENT and when you get there insist on a CT scan and endoscopy. I have suffered from sinusitis for four months and have just discovered that amoxy and metronizadole together really help but am still not sure if it's my teeth or my sinuses - waiting on the CT scan result. I totally understand how you feel, Take care.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
(male)

Orez HB User

Hello everyone, I'm a young 20yr old from the U.S (no healthcare) anyways...I have had a bad abscess on my upper mollar 2nd from the back (I never got my wisdom mollars)..had my dentist cut a hole in my gum to let the abscess drain...its been draining for a while now..i was on antibiodics but my scrip ran out...pretty sure i am getting a sinus infection from it.....how long does it take for serious side effects to manifest?..what are some signs i should look for...?

I def. have sinus problems..but they could be unrelated...congestion etc..

also swollen lymphnodes (not just this but BOTH sides of my neck were swollen?)....and this is coming from a tooth on the TOP of my mouth?
I also haven't really been feeling to great lately..king of sick/groggy/irritated.....

anyone help me out...

Last edited by Orez; 02-27-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Closed Thread