It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 07:19 AM  
(female)

Kattie43 HB User
Question Can you ask for "happy" gas when having a root canal?

I need another root canal and I just don't know if I can live thru another one with just the tons of novacaine shots they have to give me. I'm one of those few patients that always needs an extra dose of shots!!!

Old 08-20-2005, 08:17 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Can you ask for "happy" gas when having a root canal?

Definitely! Some dentists don't use it. However, if your dentist does use it, they should be willing to give it to you for a root canal, since it is such a long procedure. I was really concerned about that, and my last dentist said that he would give it to me if I wanted it. I ended up not needing it, but he was willing to use it if I wanted. You might also consider asking for a pill to take beforehand, although then you might need somebody to drive you. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 10:43 AM  
Inactive
(female)

Luxuria HB User

I agree! I had my root canal complete 2 months ago. (in 2 appointments) I was given 4 shots of novocaine just to be sure from my dentist because it was my very first time getting a filling. Can you believe that! 21 and never had a cavity.

Anyways, I had the topical ointment first and then 4 shots, 2 around the tooth, 1 farther back by the jaw joints (ouch!!) and 1 by the middle of my front teeth (bottom) I was good and numb and didnt feel a single thing. I was so happy! Sore after it all wore off (1.5 hours for the work and another 4 for it to wear off)

The second appointment when I went back to have the tooth permanently packed and filled he gave me just the topical and 2 injections. 15 minutes into the procedure I was tapping his leg and he gave me 2 more shots.

For a regular filling I could probably do it on just the 2 but for the RC I for sure need more. I'm fine after that though. My dentist does use the gas but I never asked for it.

If you dentist does use it he should be willing to let you have it for your RC.

Good luck, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:24 PM  
(female)

mediamom HB User

Yes!! I get laughing gas even just for cleaninings let alone for fillings or root canals! If your dentist knows your apprehensive, he/she will work with you to ease your anxiety (or should). I know it sounds wimpy but that gas keeps me coming for my regular cleanings every 6 months (the sound and feel of scraping is like nails on a blackboard for me). So ask away!!