It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 01:56 AM   #1
(male)

Flipster HB User
Can i over-use mouth wash (original listerine)?

I had my tongue pierced last Friday and i started off using salt water followed by listerine to wash my mouth out after eating. I stopped using slat water though because i got a sore throat and was told it was due to the salt water, so i have been using just original listerine to wash my mouth out after eating. I've been told i can cut down the amount i use it after a week, but currently my tongue has turned white and i'm thinking its because of the listerine

So, my question is, am i over-using it? Could it damage my tongue from using it too much? Because its acidic and it burns abit when using it-am i harming my tongue from using it roughly 5 times a day?

Any help appreciated, thanks

Old 08-31-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Re: Can i over-use mouth wash (original listerine)?

Your worried about damaging your tongue and you got a tongue ring? How about your teeth and the fact that it is proven to chip the enamel off your teeth if not your teeth themselves.

This fad has long term repercussions that people do not consider. When you are older and your teeth are damaged beyond repair and you have to have them removed or spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars in dental bills you will wish you had not gotten a tongue ring which is just as serious as possibly damaging your tongue by listerine.

Combine this with drinking sugared soda's especially ones like mountain dew and you have a recipe for a destroyed mouth in a very short period of time.

If you do not believe me ask your dentist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
(male)

Christai77 HB User
Re: Can i over-use mouth wash (original listerine)?

she's right,...if you did get one, i hope you at least got a plastic one. although not much better, it is a little better than the older style metal ones. if you don't play with it and knock it around on your teeth you'll be better off...better still not to even get one. but you are an adult, as long as you know what you are getting in to, do what you want.

listerine is ok, i use it more than 5 times a day some days. i have not had any color changes to my tongue. listerinie is not acidic, but has alcohol in it and that's what you feel "burning", if you think it's acidic try switching to the crest pro health rinse line of products.

Closed Thread