It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

knp HB User
soreness at novocaine injection site for weeks now

Hi,

I had crown preps done on the lower bottom left side (5 of them) two weeks ago. I've had lots of dental work during my life, but this problem is different than anything I've had.

At the novocaine injection site where I had the nerve block, it's still so sore that I can't open my mouth even a little without discomfort. When I do have to open it to floss, eat soft foods, etc., there is the soreness and seems to set off an ache for awhile.

Yesterday I had the three teeth without root canals, root canaled. I told the endodontist about this and he said it sounded like I had a blood clot whre the injection was.

The prosthodontist who gave me the injection said that it's from the strain and trauma of having so much work done and having my jaw wide open for four hours to complete the work. But, the pain is exactly where the injection site was.

I was told soft foods, no yawning and heat. I worry this has set off a TMJ type thing that could be chronic.

Has anybody had anything that sounds similar?

Old 09-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
(male)

Christai77 HB User
Re: soreness at novocaine injection site for weeks now

sounds like a hematoma at the injection site. not fun but will go away on it's own if it is.

<<<deleted inappropriate information>>>

Last edited by Administrator; 09-10-2005 at 01:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
(female)

awm38 HB User

I had the same problem not too long ago, i had a crown put on and i thought that the injection site was causing the pain in the very back part of the jaw where the shot was given....the pain wouldnt go away and i even called to ask if this could be caused by the injection, she said she didnt think it was possible for it to last this long. I was in so much pain i couldnt open my mouth all the way, nor eat anything. Went back to see the dentist and turns out my bite was off, so he did some grinding on the crown to make it shorter, and WOW, did that do the trick! That maybe your problem too, so go back if this continues and ask him to check your bite.

Last edited by awm38; 09-07-2005 at 05:56 PM.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
(male)

RPIMCV HB User

You could be experiencing any of the following: Necrosis (breakdown) of the muscle at the injection site; blood clotting/hematoma; infection in the needle tract; or just generalized soreness (hate to tell you this but the needles are 1.25" long, and sunk to the hub during the injection).

If you have any of the above problems you might try: (necrosis) working the muscles (chewing gum, tongue depressors to help open the mouth) should help; (blood clot) it's been a too long, but heat in the first 24-48 hours helps to keep swelling to a minimum; (infection) you will need antibiotics now!

I'd get back to the dentist and get a definitive answer. Any swelling? A decrease in range of motion? (most likely necrosis of the muscle). Any numbness? There are reports of anesthesia permanently damaging nerves (although rather rare). Two weeks is too long to suffer. However, the problem should have been addressed within 3-4 days (at least antibiotics). Putting the problem off longer may lead to further problems that will take longer to heal. And I assume that you have more work scheduled. A compassionate doctor might postpone pending work, to let you heal, rather than sticking you further and run the risk of exacerbating the issue.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

Wendy Laubach HB User

I had persistent pain after a filling in a wisdom tooth. Part of it was a slight mismatch in the two opposing wisdom teeth, which the dentist fixed up by grinding a little more -- but the pain didn't go away. It was hard to describe exactly where it was coming from, but it began to seem that it wasn't just the bruised feeling from the malocclusion but also pain in the surrounding gum and even at the anesthesia injection site. Sure enough, the dentist felt a little pea-sized hard swelling there, and saw redness extending to the gumline of the wisdom tooth -- an infection at the injection site! I had never heard of this happening to anyone before. A local injection of chlorhexidine produced almost immediate relief after 3 weeks of pain, but the pain returned the following night. Now on oral antibiotics and improving quickly. It has now been 25 days since the filling.

On a related note, the chlorhex mouthwash I was prescribed at first almost immediately caused the oddest disturbance in my sense of taste. I looked it up, and sure enough, it interferes with the ability to detect saltiness and bitterness!

Closed Thread