It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2001, 06:37 PM   #1

Pupsandwich HB User
Cool Impacted wisdom tooth removal experiences

Hi everyone,
First time here. I am getting one horizontal impacted wisdom tooth removed next week. I am going to be put to sleep. I was just wondering if anyone could share their experiences with me. When they say they are putting you to sleep, you are unaware of what is going on right? I certainly don't want to see nothing!! How is the pain after the fact? What should I expect. Will I be able to go to work the next day?

Thanks in advance

Christiane

Old 01-01-2001, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

Kerry21 HB User
hey, well im getting 2 impacted removed tomorrow.. i am also getting put to sleep.. YES U WILL BE SLEEPING.. u wont know a thing.. its almost like u blinked.. they put the needle in ur arm.. and then u wake up! haha! u will be feeling very drunk.. u will be like a big drunk tryin to walk around.. then u go home.. fall on the bed.. and wake up.. hopefully someone will wake u up every 3 to 4 hours to take a pain killer.. u will be given strong pain pills.. u will feel VERY HIGH.. i keep wondering the same thing.. HOW MUCH PAIN WILL I BE IN? everyone is different.. of course we will have discomfort.. and we will look silly.. but who cares ITS OVER AND DONE WITH.. u will not eat any solid foods.. ill be living on pudding and ice cream until i know theres no chance of getting a dry socket.. so be careful.. im very nervous now.. just thinking that 24 hours from now, i wont feel normal.. but, we gotta get this done someday.. its better we do it now then later!

i will let u know how it went..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2001, 05:46 AM   #3

Pupsandwich HB User
Oh great! Thanks....Please let me know how it goes and Good luck!

Christiane

Old 01-04-2001, 08:15 AM   #4
(female)

Kerry21 HB User
well.. its day 3.. im dehydrating and starving.. im in alot of pain.. im swollen also.. i went back to the surgeon today and she said U LOOK FINE THERES NOTHING WRONG! i have a low tolerence for pain.. and.. i wish my story was much better.. really i do.. everyone is different..

Old 01-04-2001, 08:28 AM   #5

Pupsandwich HB User
Can you give me details on how it went..? Just kinda want to know what to expect.

Thanks
Christiane

Old 01-04-2001, 11:08 AM   #6
(female)

Kerry21 HB User
well i got there.. and i filled some papers out, then they did an xray.. then i sat and waited 5 minutes.. the nurse calls my name (thats when my heart went into my throat) i layed down on the chair, and she patted my head and said UR GONNA BE FINE.. then the surgeon came in and gave me a hand shake and told me to get up and look at the xrays with her.. she explained everything and said this case WILL BE HARD being that the bottoms are on the nerve and the top is in ur sinuses.. i really didnt have any other questions I THOUGHT I NEW WHAT TO EXPECT.. so i lay back down, as they put the needle in my arm, i got dizzy and said OH ****! and everyone was laughing, then i heard the doc say JUST REMEMBER UR GONNA START WAKING UP WHEN IM FINISHING THE STITCHES, U WONT FEEL A THING. as she was saying that i was already waking up.. it was so weird.. and i was screaming at them and crying i want to go back to sleep.. then some cute guy was holding my hand.. HAHA.. then i was in a little room waking up.. crying still.. she says this happens to most woman, its almost like pms.. u cry and laugh alot.. i was numb and already i did feel pain.. it hurts.. im not gonna lie.. but the real pain dont come till the next day.. u will have a little thing of gauze in ur mouth to stop some bleeding.. and no its not alot of blood.. it seems like it cause ur saliva mixes with it.. when u go home, take ur pain killer, change ur gauze.. dont be afraid to add an advil or 2, to the pain meds that they gave u.. ur gonna need it.. this percoset doesnt do a damn thing for me.. so i take motrin 600 in between.. and make sure u take ur antibiotics also.. DONT DRINK FROM A STRAW UNTIL UR STITCHES ARE OUT.. im drooling alot.. i dont like swallowing cause my throat is sore.. my shirt is wet right now, HAHA, and i also have a tissue in my hand to wipe my drool.. REMEMBER DONT SPIT! make sure u have frozen peas IN A BAG.. they conform ur face! 20 minutes on 20 minutes off for as long as u can.. my swelling started to go down today.. but for some reason THE PAIN IS THE WORST TODAY.. u have to remember everyone is different.. the funny thing is she told me the surgery was so easy.. she thought it was going to be hard but it wasnt.. it took her 15 minutes.. and keep urself calm.. u will be stiff in the neck and throat.. ur face will be very sore.. ur mouth will get swollen.. but sleep as much as u can.. cause whenever u sleep theres no pain.. i just wish this pain would be over soon.. and i cant even eat.. if that happens to u drink as much fluids as u can.. lots of milk will cover ur tummy.. and nestle quick is thick too.. and lots of juice. vanilla ice cream goes down easy.. and try drinking luke warm tomato soup the 2nd day on.. any more questions email me or post them here

good luck

Old 01-04-2001, 06:15 PM   #7
(female)

Kerry21 HB User
ok well its 9pm and im already getting better.. i feel my face going down a bit.. i can almost close my mouth, it dont hurt to swallow, and i had some mashed potatoes with gravy!! u have to realize i only got one side removed.. they say because its so painful for all four at once.. and i thank god i didnt do all four.. how would i sleep? i sleep on my right side on 2 pillows and really it feels good.. in my opinion, if u have a low tolerance for pain, get the side that hurts the most removed first.. lots of people will disagree and say its better that u get them all over with, but the fact is, u will go nuts.. at least i know i would.. i just hope ur all set for this.. go food shopping and stuff.. and get lots of extra strength TY or advil to take with the pain killers.. im feeling so much better.. im very druggy right now, im keeping calm, and now everything is healing little by little..

Old 01-05-2001, 12:27 AM   #8
Inactive

Lori HB User
Pupsandwich: Why only getting the one out and not all at once? Well, answer to your questions...No,I dont think you should work the next day. Depending on your job and pain tolerance you might be able to handle it, but in my opinion you should give yourself that time to recover. And yes, you are put "to sleep" and wont remember anything See my experiance titled "Almost time...~update~" (should only be a couple posts down) Honestly the worst thing about the whole thing for me was not being able to eat normally! It makes you really apreciate those carrots!*laugh* Also there are lots of other good posts with experiances from other people if you get the time to read them you should Take care, you will do fine. Its not as bad as it seems. Please come back and tell your experiance

Old 01-06-2001, 08:14 AM   #9
(female)

Kerry21 HB User
listen pup.. i just wanna explain something to ya.. the reason why im in so much pain is because of my last moler by the wisdom tooth.. that moler has been badly decayed, and when they performed the surgery they really aggravated it.. so thats why i was in pain all these days.. i would have had such a quick recovery man.. i would have been out last night.. and even the oral surgeon said "kerry the surgery was to easy to be giving u percoset!" but now we know why i needed that strong pain killer.. its the stupid moler.. today is the 4th day.. i woke up at 9am in extreme pain (in my moler!) i took a pain killer and for the first time in days i cleaned my whole house while my fiance slept! the swelling went down sooo sooo much! and i slept so good last night and actually rolled over on to my left side.. SO UR GONNA BE FINE.. this surgery is easy.. it just wasnt easy for me cause of this damn toothache thats all.. i cant imagine how good id feel if I CAN HAVE THIS TOOTH PULLED RIGHT NOW! LOL!

so just imagine. ur only having 1 pulled.. ur one lucky S.O.B. dont worry about a thing.. just eat all the junk food u can before the surgery!!! haha.. ur gonna miss it.. i already lost 6 pounds..

Old 01-06-2001, 08:45 AM   #10

Pupsandwich HB User
One last quick question..when they put you to sleep...is it with gas? Injection? If injection is it in the arm? how does that all work?

Old 01-06-2001, 05:15 PM   #11
(female)

Kerry21 HB User
they put a little tiny needle in ur arm.. its so fast.. as soon as they put the needle in u start laughing.. its like OMG! so dont worry ur gonna be so fine.. just go there and get it over with.. ur only getting 1 done.. ur lucky..

Old 01-06-2001, 10:21 PM   #12
Inactive

Lori HB User
Wink

Pupsandwhich,
I agree with Kerry21. They put the needle either in the back of your hand or your arm. Some oral surgeons offices will use gas(with a mask) also along with when they put you to sleep. Im not exactly sure why, maybe to relax you so the anesthesia works better I dont know. But it IS really fast and when you are about to "fall asleep" its like right before you faint. Dizzy then next thing you know you are waking up and almost ready to be taken home
Good luck,Take Care
Lori

Closed Thread