It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2001, 09:22 PM   #1
Inactive

cutenbrat HB User
Angry biting cheek

When I eat or chew gum I tend to bite my cheeks a lot and it really hurts-why am I doing this and how can I stop.

Old 01-10-2001, 04:39 AM   #2

chilly HB User
Unhappy

I too have the problem of accidentally biting my cheek. It is VERY painful, and once it is injured, the swelling causes more accidental biting which makes healing a long and painful process. Please, someone help us!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2001, 09:14 PM   #3

Sssssssmokin HB User
I don't have a problem of accidentaly biting my lips or cheeks, I do out of I suppose habit?? I have always done this and it worries me sometimes because I am sure this can cause cancer or so I have heard it can. I can't stop, usually do so when I am upset or worried over something. I just start biting a small spot on my cheeks or lips then before I know it I have bitten all around and it bleeds and is very sore...not to mention if I eat anything salty ~OMG~ very painful. Does anyone know why one would do this, if it is just purily out of habit or is this stress and nerves or what?? Thanks for any advice!

Old 01-11-2001, 05:32 PM   #4
Inactive

Shaelle HB User
Biting your cheek out of habit, is as stated, a habit, like biting your nails. Just work hard at not doing it. If your biting your cheek because your teeth are not aligned straight, you could see an orthodontist. People that "chew" on their cheek out of nervousness or anger, create a white callous mark in their cheek. And any white area in the mouth is referred to as a leukoplakia (dental terms). If you are constantly chewing off the top layers of your oral tissues, yes, it could one day become a cancerous lesion. So stop chewing!!

If you bite your cheek on accident, you can get some Zilactin B for oral lesions. You can get this over the counter at any place that sells oral hygiene prouducts(toothbrushes, floss, paste, etc.) Look near the ambosol in comes in a red tube and a blue tube. Out of experience, I think the red tube sticks better. Follow the directions exactly, and be sure that the area it is applied to is plenty dry. At home I like to use a blow dryer to dry, and a cue-tip to apply it, then dry it again. Basically it forms an oral band-aid, and keeps it a little numb to the pain. But it ususally stings when you put it on. It is also good for canker sores that are inside the mouth.

Old 01-13-2001, 12:18 AM   #5

JohnnieD HB User
Cool

Hi there,

I've had this same problem recently of biting my cheek accidentally on one side. The first thing I thought of was that it probably had something to do with my wisdom teeth having to be removed. They encouraged me to do this last year, but I didn't find it bothersome and still don't so not planning on it any time soon. It may have no correlation, but it's just what popped up in my head when new thing's started occuring in my mouth!

Later!

Old 01-16-2001, 07:28 AM   #6

Sssssssmokin HB User
Unhappy

Shaelle,
Thank you so much for the advice. I have always wondered if this was just a habit, but I sometimes I don't know. I developed ulcers when I was 11 yrs. old and have always been pretty much a nervous child and get that way alot as an adult. I do not bite the inside of my lips all the time, I do really good by going for sometimes even up to a month without biting them and then when something happens or my nerves are freyed then I will start in again until they are torn and bleeding. When I start to feel it burn and hurt then I will make myself quit, but until then it is as if I have to, for it seems to calm my nerves somehow. This probably sounds silly and may be all in my head but I really don't think so as I don't enjoy biting my lips or the pain and like I said I don't do it unless I get really upset or my nerves are shot.

Thanks for any further insight on this? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 06-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
(female)

Boyle HB User
Re: biting cheek

How long before the bite marks leave?

Closed Thread