It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2001, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

Carolina Girl HB User
Unhappy Wisdom tooth pain and cyst on jawline..need advice please!

About a month ago, my bottom right wisdom tooth, which is coming in, became painful and inflamed. I then began to notice a bump (lima bean size and moveable under the skin) on the bottom of my jaw right below my tooth. I went to an oral surgeon who took xrays and said that it was an infection caused by food getting in under the gum that is still remaining over the tooth. He prescribed pennicillion and recommended extraction, which I can't afford for at least 6 more months. The antibiotics seemed to work.

Last week, one month later, it started all over again and I noticed a lump on my neck (the same side)...this worried me so I went to my doctor, who agreed with the infection and said the lumb in my neck was my lymp nodes swelling, which happens when there is an infection. She gave me the same prescription. The pain has gone away, but the bump is still there with a little bit of swelling.

Any insight into any of this? Do I need a stronger prescription? Could there be any longterm effects the longer I wait?

Please help!

Old 01-19-2001, 12:18 AM   #2

Ship HB User
Sounds like you have a pericornitis (infection around the tooth) of your wisdom tooth. As you can see from other posts on this board it's not that uncommon of a problem. The lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph node) that you're experiencing is also a common symptom that often occurs with a dental infection. I'd advise you to complete all of your antibiotics as directed on the bottle and see if it resolves. A typical infection will take 7-10 days to run its course completely. Also be aware that sometimes an antibiotic will decrease its effectiveness when used repeatedly on the same infection. This is particularly true if you didn't take all the meds prescribed to you the first time. Just a note to everyone else on the board: ALWAYS TAKE ANTIBIOTICS AS DIRECTED AND UNTIL FINISHED! Even if you start feeling better make sure you complete you meds. Now as for your wisdom tooth problem; it will never be completely resolved until it is extracted. Please do so as soon as you can... Most dentists and oral surgeons can work out a financing plan with you if necessary. Nothing is more important than your health! Best of luck to you! Oh, I almost forgot... You may want to try gargling 3-4 times a day with warm salt water. Sometimes this will help resolve your infection a little quicker.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2001, 12:07 PM   #3

Smilemaker HB User
Ship's answers were right on target. I agree that you should talk with your oral surgeon about finanacing options. That's the only sur fire way your going to put and end to the infections. If it's still to expensive you might see if your general dentist will remove the tooth. It may be a little cheaper that way. Be sure to seek treatment as soon as the infection returns. Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread