It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2001, 07:06 PM   #1

lonelygirl HB User
Unhappy Really bad cavity

I have had a cavity in one of my lower molars for a long time. I can't even remember when I first noticed it, but it's been over a year, and I haven't been to a dentist. It has rotted away a lot (it's pretty awful, so sorry if this grosses you out), and now there's no tooth at all above the gum, just a hole. Sometimes it gets really painful for a few days, but normally it doesn't hurt. Several months ago, I think I had an abscess or something in that tooth, really painful, and my jaw swelled up a lot, but it went away after a few days, happened again several weeks later, but hasn't happened again for a few months.

Here's what I want to know: What can I do about it? I don't know much about dental work. Would I have to get a root canal? What if I didn't do anything about it? Will it keep rotting until it's all the way gone or will it probably stop? I can't really brush it because it hurts if I do (but I use mouthwash).

Old 02-03-2001, 08:40 PM   #2

tundra HB User
Hey there lonelygirl (never mind---it's a reference to a really old song)
Get thee to a dentist! Likely they can't really save it from what you describe. I have a few bridges and one empty spot from teeth that got that far gone on me. Just get that thing outta there as it won't just eventually rot completely away on it's own. It WILL however rot away your jawbone till you're lookin' at problems that are far worse than a missing molar!! Please, at least get it evaluated by a Dr. a.s.a.p. Good luck, and let us know!

tundra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2001, 03:04 AM   #3

Ship HB User
If your tooth is rotten to the gum line then its unlikely that it can be saved. Hindsight being twenty/twenty and all I'm sure that now you wished you had it looked at long ago. A cavity is a pretty easy problem to fix in early stages but can lead to much more serious problems if left untreated. That being said its not too late for you to go to a dentist and take care of the rest of your teeth. You probably have other cavities that need to be fixed. Regular visits to the dentist can help PREVENT problems leaving you with a healther mouth, a positive attitude, and a great smile. Maybe you won't be a "lonely" girl much longer, hmmm?

Old 02-04-2001, 05:39 PM   #4
Inactive

Shaelle HB User
You may get referred to an oral surgeon to have that tooth removed. It is unlikely that the Dr. will be able to save it. You will most likey keep on getting those infections/abcesses as long as that tooth is still in there. Also when you have decay that severe in your mouth, you tend to have very bad breath odor, brushing isn't helping that odor. Think rotten meat, then think of your breath.

Get to the Dentist!

Old 02-04-2001, 07:34 PM   #5

Kara- HB User
I am in the exact same position as you are, only I have two rotten teeth. Actually both of mine are only "half" teeth - for what's left of them. I am scheduled for the first one to be extracted tomorrow. Yes I am scared but I also thought the pain going away from time to time meant I could just forget about it! Not so! Mine started really affecting my overall health. The sooner you do something about it the better, so stop putting it off. If I can live through this tomorrow, so can you! Maybe I'll even let you know how it goes for me! Good luck to you! Make an appointment, you'll feel much better!

Closed Thread