It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2001, 02:07 PM   #1

daisylady HB User
Post Deep scale cleaning -- advice please!

Hi. Recently my new dentist told me that I need a deep scale cleaning and refuses to do a regular cleaning (I asked for regular cleaning until I decide what to do). I've been told that once you have a deep scale cleaning, you have to get them every 4-6 months and can't go back to normal cleanings. I'm concerned about it -- I hear they're very uncomfortable, and I have a low threshold of pain.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any advice? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2001, 08:18 PM   #2
Inactive

Shaelle HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by daisylady:
Hi. Recently my new dentist told me that I need a deep scale cleaning and refuses to do a regular cleaning (I asked for regular cleaning until I decide what to do). I've been told that once you have a deep scale cleaning, you have to get them every 4-6 months and can't go back to normal cleanings. I'm concerned about it -- I hear they're very uncomfortable, and I have a low threshold of pain.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any advice? Thanks!
Your dentist refuses to provide a regular cleaning because it will do your condition no good, and only worsen your condition. He will be legally liable for providing substandard care.

When you have a deep scaling (Scaling and Root Planing), you are given anesthesia, then the hygienist cleans either 1 or 2 quadrants. Then you return until the treatment is complete. If you follow the hygienists instructions exactly, and the hygienist performs her job correctly, after about a year you should be able to return to a regular 6 month recall. UNLESS you have pocket depths greater than 7 mm. Then your dentist should be refering you to a periodontist. Otherwise, If you follow your hygienists directions, daily brushing and flossing as directed, and using any other devices recomemded, your pocketing depths should decrease. For about a year after you should have your teeth cleaned every three months. These cleanings are basically the same as a regular 6 month cleaning. The only difference may be that extra time is spent recording your pocket depths or providing certain care needs like instructions or irrigation. If you have excellent home care and your pocket depths and your perio condition is well under control, you may be able to go back to a 6 month recall. My patients report not having much discomfort, (though I don't know if they are actually telling me the truth) I also give "post operative instructions". Depending on how well you take care of your teeth and keep up on your regular cleanings, deep scaling may need to be repeated. But it is NOT repeated every 4-6 months, maybe every 3-5 years, BUT you may never need it again as long as you have excellent oral hygiene care. The key factors to sucess in this proceedure are #1 proper RPSC (root planing, scaling, and curretage) and #2 meticulous oral hygiene/home care. If you have any other questions, I will be happy to answer them for you. Otherwise, I hope this info helps you. Good luck with the treatment!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread