It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2001, 08:27 AM   #1

Daniele1 HB User
Unhappy Anyone have dentures at young age...I have to

get upper dentures and I am only 31 years old and I am scared to death....my teeth are falling apart and it is not from neglect...I brush and floss and they still are decaying. My dentist said that some peoples teeth do this...I am so afraid that dentures will change the appearance of my face and make me look different, and that people will notice. Will they? Has anyone had experience with this. How hard is it to get used to it in your mouth...I have seen some awful looking dentures that people have and you can really tell. They look like horse teeth in their mouth. That is what I dread. Please help.

The following user gives a hug of support to Daniele1:
LotusFire (12-19-2011)
Old 02-08-2001, 12:59 PM   #2

Ship HB User
This is an unfortunate situation for you and I'm sorry. I hate to put someone so young in dentures yet from time to time it is necessary. Some people are prone to more decay that is true but usually it is a result of poor oral hygiene, high sugar diet, poor saliva flow/content, or a combination of these. At your age now the denture should fit very well I'd think. It will take some getting used to but you will eventually. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2001, 08:48 PM   #3
Inactive

Shaelle HB User
I would also like to add on that when you are fitted for the dentures, you can discuss with whom ever is making them dentist or denturist what you like about the teeth in them or dislike. Things like where your lip line will be, especially when you smile; and the shape, color, and size of the teeth. Remember that some people choose to have more teeth showing in their denture vs less teeth. The appearance of your face will look different when the denture is not in place, but when the denture is in place, people shouldn't really be able to tell. I work in an office in a retirement area, there are alot of patients with dentures. I usually cannot tell just by looking at the person, even if I see their teeth (unless I stare or I am looking especially close), that they are wearing a denture. Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2001, 03:45 AM   #4

Robert2 HB User
Smile

My boy had to get an upper plate in his early twenties. It made all the difference in his appearance and self confidence. It also allows him to eat pretty much anything he wants. He got used to his dentures in just a few days.

It is important to have your dentures made by someone reputable. If the place you get them claims to be able to get them ready in the same day, I would be cautious. If they are a bargain price, I would be real cautious. You don't want to buy poor quality dentures. You will be using them for a long time.

Just remember to take good care of your gums and follow the cleaning directs for your dentures. It won't take long for them to feel like a natural part of your mouth.

There is another option to dentures call permanent implants. An oral surgeon imbeds pins in your jaw bone and mounts a permanent bridge on them. You care for them like regular teeth. The drawback is that they cost big bucks.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
(male)

Timmay!! HB User
Re: Anyone have dentures at young age...I have to

Hello all!

This is my first post on this board, and it is quite a relief to see so many awnsers to my questions.

I would like to post a reply to the person enquiring about dentures at thirty one.
I had similar problems with my upper teeth and eventually got full uppers at the age of thirty, from a reputable dentist, and they looked and felt wonderful.

As the other post commented, if done correctly, they will automatically seal to your upper palate, look great, and after an adjustment period, feel somewhat natural.

MAKE SURE you go someplace reputable, and ask anyone you know around you. Also, don't stop wearing them for days at a time.

In my case, I did the latter, self concious about people knowing, and uncomfortable about how the felt, and yeah, sometimes I feel sorry for myself that I have no top teeth at a young age, but that's life, and it beats having other problems I guess.

Sorry to ramble and thanks for this board,

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to Timmay!! For This Useful Post:
MCorleone (05-11-2011)
Old 01-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

midnightstarz HB User

I also know what your going through.. I'm 24 myself, and have to get dentures. I just got the last 7 of my upper teeth out this past wednesday, Now all i have left are 12 on the bottom to get taken out. Anyway, It's not uncommon to be wary of what you will look like, or how the dentures will feel, I'm still worried about that myself..lol. But i can give you some good advice someone gave me.. If you decide to get dentures, don't get the immediates, wait until your gums are healed and not swollen anymore. It will give you a MUCH better fit and feel, and should make things a little easier to get used to.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
(female)

peckhouser HB User

Yes but what if she doesn't wish to go without teeth? I got immediate dentures and I am doing well.If you find a good Prosthodontist then you should be ok.Do your research,don't go to just anybody.My immediates look very real,they actually look way better than my natural teeth did so I'm thinking my perms are going to be out of this world.I had no trouble getting used to them either,it was easier to eat with the new teeth than the old.You do fine as long as you go to someone whose reputable.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
(female)

gabri HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniele1
get upper dentures and I am only 31 years old and I am scared to death....my teeth are falling apart and it is not from neglect...I brush and floss and they still are decaying. My dentist said that some peoples teeth do this...I am so afraid that dentures will change the appearance of my face and make me look different, and that people will notice. Will they? Has anyone had experience with this. How hard is it to get used to it in your mouth...I have seen some awful looking dentures that people have and you can really tell. They look like horse teeth in their mouth. That is what I dread. Please help.
Hello Daniele.I know exactly how you feel..I am wearing upper dentures now, I had to have my teeth pulled, I could not take it anymore..They were bad teeth, I also had infected gums..I was always in pain...But now, I feel nobody can really tell about my dentures, I am smiling all the time.However, I wish I could get some dental implants, I would prefer something more permanent, I must inquire about them...Don't worry dear, keep on smiling...

Old 01-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
(female)

midnightstarz HB User

I guess i should have worded what i was trying to say correctly..lol What i meant was that if they wanted, they could get the immediates, but wait for the perm. set.. I've heard of some people getting their perms right after their teeth come out, leaving out the immediates altogether, which usually results in having to go back numerous time for adjustments and relines because your gums shrink and what not..

Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
(female)

kate19701 HB User

I just went through the process and to be honest 2 months down the track im happy I did it. I spent the last two years in pain refusing to let go of my teeth, huge dentist bills and stress. My teeth were causing me huge psyche issues. I was terrified of looking funny, not being able to kiss and people laughing at me. None of that has happened. I must say my upper lip looks thinner but the change is minimal. The key is to save your bottom teeth, having them removed can make life harder. Bottom dentures only sit there by the grace of god. Over all im happier, no pain. I cried for two days each time I looked in the mirror when I had my denture out . So dont do that. Only look at yourself with your denture in. I wish I had my own teeth and pray I win tats to get implants, however im the happiest ive been in years. good luck. Ps take a week of work when u first get it done.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
(female)

npainnTN HB User

I had my upper teeth done in 2007. Then had my lowers done somewhere near july of last year. My uppers were the best thing I ever done. I had a pretty smile which I had never had. Unless you tell people majority will not be able to tell. My best friends husband had no idea, and I had had them for a year. So, make sure you really talk to the person making your dentures. Tell them your fears and do not proceed until you are comfortable. My lower ones I have had a harder time adjusting to. They did slightly alter my apperance and I have somewhat of a lisp, but all say this goes away the more you get used to them. I would not take it back. My teeth were horrible and i had such a poor self image because of that. Especially when my front teeth got bad.

Its a long process, but it is worth it, if it is your last option. For me i didn't have any other options. I could not afford anything else. Good luck and keep us updated. If you have questions please feel free to ask. Everyone here is so helpful.

Good Luck
npainnTN

Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
(female)

npainnTN HB User

I know the thread was getting dentures at a young age. Crazy me forgot to add how old I was when i got my dentures. I was 27 when I got my uppers and 28 when I got my lowers. Sorry, i am absent minded at this time of night. lol

Last edited by npainnTN; 01-29-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: forgot something i wanted to add

Old 01-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

mikecurrie HB User

haha i got you all beat, i'm only 22 and i'm gonna need them real soon... im in the process of getting a lot of them pulled due to decay.... long story! I still have quite a few good teeth, but their in spots that dont really help me out... im going to leave them in so I don't lose so much bone in the jaw you know, but i need my 4 front teeth pulled... just had all my molars pulled in back on the bottom except for one, the top is looks like its going to be the same... sucks real bad but what can ya do... i'd rather have no teeth than rotten teeth! i'm sure it's healthier as well

Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
(male)

Stevvo HB User

I wasn't as young as you when I had all my teeth out and was fitted with dentures. I was 40, quite an average age for getting dentures. None of my teeth were worth saving and they all came out. By then I didn't want any teeth saved, I'd had enough of them. I think you know when it is the end of the road, whenever that happens. I knew for a long time my teeth were destined to be lost and thinking back on it I wished that it had all happened when I was much younger. You age in fact. It would have saved a lot of time, money and discomfort. So if it is any encouragement to you, I have no regrets about dentures and the loss of all my teeth. Other people may have but they are the right solution for me.

By the way if you have lost nearly all your teeth in your lower jaw you are best advised to have all your upper teeth out as well. Natural teeth opposing lower dentures puts too much force on the underlying bone and can cause it to shrink more rapidly. Secondly upper dentures are quite stable anyway. It is the lower denture that is more likely to cause retention problems, although these can be overcome with or without the use of denture adhesives. Some people swear by them. Personally once I adapted fully to my dentures I have never used the stuff.

If you have them all your teeth out when you are young you are likely to adapt to dentures quite rapidly and your ridges should be in good shape still. There will be bone loss throughout your life but if you have regular checkups you should continue to be able to wear dentures satisfactorily. Both my parents did and I don't think it will be a problem for me.

I had the usual procedure with all my back teeth out in one session, a gap of about five weeks for initial healing, then the front teeth out and immediate dentures. If I was to go through the process again, I would have opted for all my teeth out in one session. It gets it over faster and gets you wearing dentures sooner. You only learn to use them if they are in your mouth and they only start to function well when the gums have healed. So it is logical to get to that point as quickly as you can. A complete clearance in one session is like to be more expensive as there will be more rebasing to do and you are likely to need a new permanent denture after about a year.

Dentures should greatly improve your appearance. There may be changes to your appearance over time but no one will notice that. You can have the teeth you always wanted or ones that look like the ones you have now. I wanted cosmetically attractive teeth so they are even and much whiter than my old teeth.

Most people will not know you wear dentures. Those who do are almost certainly denture wearers themselves. There are little tell tale signs, the way the muscles of the lips and the tongue move, which give it away. Also you can often spot movement in the lower denturewhich is less stable or spot the upper plate over the palate. For all that most people don't know that I wear dentures.

You learn to eat and speak in dentures well enough. They should not affect your enjoyment of life.

They have increased my enjoyment of life, having now worn dentures for nearly nineteen years. They look good. I don't have tooth and gum problems. They are easy to keep clean. They are a cost effective option. Your dentures will need rebasing every so often as your gums change shape and they seem to last me about seven or eight years. Having my teeth out also improved my general health

Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
(female)

zombiegirl HB User

im only 21 and im getting dentures in about 3 months or more im having surgery to get the implants to hold them in in about 2 weeks im scared that i wont be able to function with dentures ive been without teeth since december

Closed Thread