It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2001, 04:00 PM   #1

MaryTrejo HB User
Unhappy Scared of Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Hi, This Fri. I have an appt. to get my wisdom teeth extracted, all 4 of them.
At age 29, the Surgeon says that the possibility of temporary or permanent numbness on my tongue, lips and chin are possible. I'm very freaken scared !!! I've been very close to cancelling my appointment. If anybody out there can share their own experiences and sorta put my mind at ease, I would be greatly appreciated.

very scared Mary in California.

[This message has been edited by MaryTrejo (edited 01-29-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2001, 07:24 PM   #2

Robert2 HB User
I had four wisdom teeth removed all at once by an oral surgeon. He used an anesthesia that did make me sleep so I could watch. The stuff was great. I didn't feel anything. That is saying a lot considering that my wisdom teeth grew in sideways and had to be cut out. There was certain things I couldn't eat or do for couple of days. He gave me some strong painkiller, but I only needed it once and a while. It went really well considering. Before your surgery, get the perscription from the oral surgeon for pain killer and fill it so you will have it. You may be tired after the surgery. Get a big box of popsicles and put them in the freezer. They are great because the cold reduces swelling and discomfort and you get some fluids. Just use the regular ones. The real fruit can sting because of the acidic juices. Remember, don't suck them. Just hold it in your mouth and let it dissolve. Have as many as you like. A sports bottle is nice because you can use it to squirt fluids into your mouth. You won't be able to use a straw. One last thing. If you really think that you have to sleep through the procedure, let your oral surgeon know in advance so he will be prepared. If having head rubbed helps, tell them. They aim to accomodate. (They don't like to get bit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2001, 11:17 PM   #3

elobet HB User
Wink

I think you will be just fine. I had 2 removed 3 years ago which went o.k., then last april? (i think) i was like 7 months pregnant and had the other 2 removed. I was so scared because when you are pregnant you cannot have epinephrine in the anesthesia which the anesthesia dosent last nearly as long. I was also going to dental school @ the time ( dental asst.) and i was still scared. It went so well and i was so happy with the outcome. Barely any pain afterwards. Of course i had some meds to help but you will get stronger meds im sure. Im sure everything will be fine- just make sure you follow the aftercare instructions! Take care and i hope all goes well!

Old 01-29-2001, 11:20 PM   #4

tundra HB User
Lightbulb

It wont't be that bad, and the warning of numbness is kind of the standard dental warning. I had all of mine extracted (along with a couple others since) with only a local anes., and I don't hardly even remember it. All of mine were fully impacted, so they had to cut them out. I have no numbness in the area. My husband had his done with "twilight sleep", and after recuperating a day or so, he was back to work, and back to normal. Just no smoking, using a straw, or alcohol as these things can cause dry socket.
That is where the blood clot that forms in the socket gets dislodged, and though it never happened to me, I hear it hurts like an abcess. I never had a problem with any of my extractions, and neither will you! Good Luck!

tundra

Old 01-30-2001, 02:36 AM   #5
Inactive

Lori HB User
Hi there!
First of all, the surgeon is suposed to tell you of what may happen because of the surgery. They tell everyone that, and of course its always a risk but most of what they warn you about never happens to anyone if they follow their instructions afterwards. My brother just had his 4 taken out last year (he was 29) with no problems. I had 3 of mine taken out a couple months ago. They left the other one because it was so close to the nerve he wanted a separate appointment so he could take his time and take out the tooth in chunks so I hopefully wont get nerve damage (like you are talking about). It is bone impacted. How impacted are yours? That will help determine how difficult things may go also. But nerve damage and other complications are rare so you probably dont need to worry. As for the operation its a sinch. Not nearly as bad as you think. Good luck,you will do fine.

Old 01-30-2001, 05:52 AM   #6
Karen the Koward

Hi Mary!

Please don't cancel your appointment! I had a total of 5 teeth (4 wisdom and one molar) taken out at one time. Of course they put me out for it so I felt nothing. Afterwards, I had no problems with pain (I picked up my prescribed painkillers before the appointment) and very little (if any!) swelling!
You'll do just fine! I think out of all my dental procedures, this one was the easiest. Let us know how it goes!

Old 01-30-2001, 09:08 AM   #7

MaryTrejo HB User
Wink

Ok, I feel more at ease now. Thank you so much for all the replies. I can say I feel much better about getting this done. I will be completely asleep throughout the procedure. My teeth are not impacted, I don't know if that makes a difference. But my lower left tooth has a hook at the bottom where it's intertwining with the nerve. That's where the whole freaking out issue comes in. I've never been put to sleep, that's what has me very worried. But after reading all your replies, I will be just fine. And yes, I've already filled my prescription for Vicodin and Amoxcycilin (not sure of spelling). Oh, and I'm sending my husband to buy a bag of popsicles. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU all.
I will definitely be back and let ya'll know how it went. Thanks for the support, it means very much to me.

[This message has been edited by MaryTrejo (edited 01-30-2001).]

Old 01-30-2001, 01:10 PM   #8
(female)

Kerry21 HB User
ok girl.. did u read my post about this? i was scared for months!!! thats all i would think about.. but u know what!! today is a month that i had the surgery.. and im sitting here laughing at myself!! i had my left side top and bottom impacted in bone removed.. i was asleep for it.. and it was so weird!! they put the needle in and i woke up laughing my *** off cause they slap the laughing gas on my face.. and then i cried for no reason.. i was in pain.. but let me tell u.. when its all over, u realize it wasnt all that bad.. im so healed right now! in 6 days i was fine!!! so dont worry..

Old 01-30-2001, 03:08 PM   #9

MaryTrejo HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks Kerry, I know i'm freaking out for nothing. But just the thought of losing feeling to my chin, lips and tongue freak me out. I know it'll be fine, but you can't blame me for worrying a little.
Thanks again for the words of encouragement.
I don't feel as scared now.

Old 01-31-2001, 07:25 AM   #10
(female)

Kerry21 HB User
i dont blame u for being scared.. ur just scared of the UNKNOWN thats all.. but the chances of nerve damage are extremely slim.. my doctor told me that also.. she also said my sinuses my be ****ed up forever.. my one tooth was in my sinus cavity.. WONDERFUL! i still remember when i went in that day.. i was like a mess.. but i didnt cry.. i was laughing alot in the waiting room cause i culdnt believe it was finally here u know!! and when i went in a met my surgeon (a woman) i felt so relieved.. my whole body just relaxed.. and that was it.. begging for percoset wasnt fun but she didnt want me getting addicted.. the only thing u can do is dope urself up.. and just lay in bed with the radio playing.. or one of ur favorite cd's.. ICE CREAM is the only think i was able to eat.. ur situation will be a bit different.. i had some bone cut out of my jaw saw my mouth was like stuck.. i couldnt open or close it! and the swelling!! LOL! frozen peas are good for the swelling.. but hagandaz chocolate ice cream.. holy ****! its so good.. and dont eat anything that will get stuck in the socket.. mashed potatoes.. u can eat like mac and cheese.. just swallow the noodles..

if u want to.. email me.. ill get u thru this..

Old 01-31-2001, 06:27 PM   #11

Sharpoe HB User
Thumbs up

Hi,

I just got my wisdom teeth extracted last thursday. I think you'll do alright. I had a general anes., I was kinda nervous going into it too (even tho I'd had a general before!) and, it went just fine. I was pretty whacked out for awhile, but I am doing better. If you want more info about what goes into a general anes., ask away!

My doctor told me all the things that yours told you, they are required to do that, for obvious reasons. It is a surgery, and with any surgery comes a certain amnt. of risk, however slight. I personally have had no major complications.

A tip for you, if you're into this type of thing, is to have a mouthwash of goldenseal/eccenacia. 3 capsuels of each emptied into a half glass of water. (Starting a couple days after surgery, ending when you feel ready.) swish and hold in mouth for 1 minute, spit out. do this twice a day. I got this tip from my nutrition teacher, and it was really awesome. A natural antibiotic, and it acted to help w/ my pain too!

Also, zinc and vitamin C (extra) can help w/ your' body's immune system.

depending on how fast or slow a healer you are normally, you may have weakness (like when you have the flu), mild, moderate or worse for many days afterwords. I'm a slow healer, and I've experienced this phenomenon. I was whacked the first 3 days, those were the worst for me, and am getting better as the week goes. Take time to rest my dear! You need the time to heal. Don't do too much too fast! If you need to sleep, then sleep. Forget the laundry. It will still be there.

If you're into prayer, maybe try a prayer meeting before you go have surgery. I did, and it blessed my life immensley!

I wish you the best. Please let us know how it all goes. Everyone is different w/ this, so just roll with the way your body is handling it all, take tylenol and/or Cramp Bark (natural muscle relaxant) if you have tension headaces (another thing i've had)
and if you're nauseated, (Hopefully not, but that can occur from the pain meds) they can perscribe nausea pills for ya too. They work! Mint tea is good for that kind of thing also.

Love and best wishes, your healing will be in my prayers. Please let us all know how it went.

Sharpoe

------------------
God loves you!

Old 02-01-2001, 10:06 AM   #12

MaryTrejo HB User
Wink

Thank you Kerry, your words are inspiring.
I know i'll do fine if i stop worrying about it. I've come to the point where i just want them out. They're hurting so bad right now. My gums are swollen and i've not been able to eat for a week already. only soft mushy stuff. which is sorta preparing me for after the surgery.

Old 02-01-2001, 10:22 AM   #13

MaryTrejo HB User
Hi Sharpoe, how are you feeling after your surgery?
Thanks for the advice.
One question though, the goldenseal/eccenacia, can i do this too while being on Amoxcycilin and Vicodin? or is that instead of?
i've never tried any natural remedies, but at this point i'll try anything.

I'll tell you why I'm so freaked out.
At a different healthboard discussion website, i was reading some of the postings that people have placed about their experiences after surgery. now the things that they posted totally freaked me out.
they stated moderate to severe pain after 6 months of having surgery, total numbness in the tongue, lips and chin after a year.
things like this. so obviously after reading all these things, don't you think i was in the right to be scared out my whitts?
but i'm ok now. i'm actually looking forward to the surgery. i'll be scared, but i'm going into this with an open mind, and i'll let the Surgeon do his thing and pray to god everything goes well.

So once again, thank you all very much for the support and advice.

Old 02-01-2001, 12:30 PM   #14

tundra HB User
Hey----quit reading those!! The boards are full of "Misery Loves Company" stories, and not enough of the positive otcomes, whch constitute the majority of cases! As far as natural remedys go, for a recent eye surgery I had, Arnica Montana worked great to minimise the bruising, and Hypericum is supposed to help with nerve injury. It must have done something as my surgeon commented on how well I was healing compared to his other patients he'd operated on the same day. If you need to know about possible drug interactions, dosages, where to purchase etc... look in your local directory for a homeopathic pharmacy, and they can give you all the info you need. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

tundra

Old 02-01-2001, 12:37 PM   #15

MaryTrejo HB User
Cool

Hi Tundra,

I try to stop reading them, but they're intriguing. Some are suing their Dentists for thousands. But ok, I'll stop reading them.
I'm going to look into the Hypericum. That can be found in any Homeopathic Store, right?
I'll do research on it. Thanks a lot.

Mary

Closed Thread