It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2001, 12:56 PM   #1

joaniegirl HB User
Question bite adjustment

I went back to the dentist to have my bite adjusted on a crown. It hurts to eat on that side. In the same visit I also had four fillings replaced on the bottom on that same side.
I am worse now than ever before. Mainly because I think there is still some major bite adjustment needed -- both on the upper and lower at this point.
Does anyone know or have tips on how I can communicate with my dr. to get it done right this time?? The right side of my mouth needs a break -- and the left side is feeling deprived!!

Old 02-23-2001, 07:01 AM   #2

alazay HB User
I just got three crowns, and the one on my right side is all messed up to. The bite is not right at all. It feels like it is too high or something. I have not went to the dentist yet. Let me know what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2001, 07:56 PM   #3

JudyP63 HB User
Go and get the dentist to adjust your bite. This is a very common occurance. Sometimes it happens too often....but it's something that does occur. When your bite is off like that it can cause pain. There is no sense living with pain. The dentist will not charge you if he/she just has to adjust the filling/crown that he/she did. Take care.

Old 03-07-2001, 06:43 PM   #4

Toothfairy HB User
All you have to do is have your dentist check your bite and he/she will know if your bite is high. It can be easily adjusted. At the time the fillings were done, you were so numbed that you can't tell if your bite is high. It's common to go back to have your bite adjusted, it's not a big deal. If you continue to bite high and don't do anything about it, it can mess up your jaw, promote TMJ,etc. So don't live w/ the discomfort, do something about it. They usually do not charge for adjusting if he/she did the fillings or crowns.

Old 03-09-2001, 10:41 AM   #5

alazay HB User
How do they adjust your bite? Does it hurt when they do it?

Old 03-09-2001, 10:48 AM   #6

JudyP63 HB User
No it's simple. Usually dentists use articulating paper to check the bite before you leave. This paper leaves a mark where the filling is still high. You bite on the paper back and forth and he/she checks it. Sometimes though the filling is still high. Often it seems fine when you leave....since you are frozen you think it's fine. Then again you could chew through your cheek and not feel it haha. Adjusting the bite doesn't hurt a bit. The dentist just grinds it down a bit and checks it with the articulating paper (most do). Usually they floss inbetween too. It's a piece of cake....and if you don't get it fixed, like Toothfairy said....it could cause lots of problems. It's strange how much something so small can bother you, but it sure can.

Closed Thread