It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Angry Gum swollen and x-ray still showing nothing wrong with teeth

I just got back from my dentist today. I have had a swollen gum since 5 weeks ago from an abcessed tooth that had got pulled, but the swelling stayed. The Dentist has done 4 x-rays now over the last 5 weeks, last one was today, and says that there is still nothing showing up wrong with my teeth on the x-rays and if the swelling doesn't go down after my Amoxicillin is done (Doctor put me on it 5 days ago because I got a respiratory infection and my cheek ended up swollen again) in 5 days that he will probably refer me to an endontist. Does anyone have any suggestions at all? He doesn't seem real worried, and I'm just freaking out. I'm so scared of an infection going into my bloodstream. The Amoxicillin did bring the swelling down, my cheek on the outside is now normal again, but the inside of my mouth is still swollen and hurts, but hardly any tooth pain. Anyone?

Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Smile Re: Gum swollen and x-ray still showing nothing wrong with teeth

I have had a similar experience for a year. I had my first root canal ever and the gum was swollen before and after. Now it is MUCH MUCH less swollen without treatment. I can Push on it and it doesn't hurt. If I had gone back to the dentist and had shown him the puffiness, he would have xrayed me to death and may have sent me to a perio. Knowing this, I took it into my own hands and started swishing with hot salt water. Then I added a water pik. After a month the swelling was almost gone. Now I still use the water pik but have added 100mg of COQ10 a day. I honestly and truly believe that no dentist can make this tiny lump go away by digging and stabbing and xraying and poking. Sometimes , we have to take care of ourselves. It took me 50 years to figure this all out
Oftentimes, it's the old home remedies that actually do the job

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Re: Gum swollen and x-ray still showing nothing wrong with teeth

Hi Susan,
Thank you so much for your post. I still have the swollen gum, and it hurts like heck when I push on it, and my teeth on that side are sore when I bite down, but hard to pinpoint any one tooth. Besides, the x-rays didn't show anything wrong with them, and wouldn't it show up after 4 x-rays if one of the teeth were bad? The only reason I really got worried was because 2 weeks ago I got a sinus infection and bronchitis and when it came, my cheek swelled up also. When I went to the Dr., he gave me the antibiotic because of the respiratory infection, but he said it was obviously infected in my mouth as well because of the swollen cheek. But the Amoxicillin took the swelling in the cheek down within 2 days, but now after being on it for 7 days, the gum is still swollen and painful. Was this anything like the symptoms you experienced? Michelle

Old 10-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

michelle, it probably is not the teeth that are bad; it's the gums. And no; this won't show up on xrays. You don't need xrays to show inflammed gums. YOu can see them just by looking. If , and I repeat, if i am correct and the gums are inflammed you can cure this with hot salt water 3x a day. Many people either don't believe it or they don't have the time to swish ; they'd rather go under the knife and the dentists are only too pleased about it. You have Got to keep those gums in tip-top condition with GENTLE brushing and salt water rinses.
As for your question: the lump (it barely exits now) on my gum Was swollen and very red. It took one solid month to get it to the point that it is almost gone. But I did it with salt water and a water pik. I do not recall if it ever hurt. It has no pain now. You must keep your fingers and anything contaminated off those gums and rinse after every meal with salt water. Do a search on "natural gum treatment." and see what you come up with.
The Only things that dentists do for swollen gums are: cut them and/or
xray them. I do not see how either "treatment" can work . For gum disease, they usually do not tell you gum surgery (a painful, bloody mess)has to be done AT LEAST TWICE. And for many it doesn't work. Good Luck.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

JimBBB HB User

Michelle,

As was mentioned, often swollen/inflammation of gums is caused by bacteria. People on the Marshall Protocol have these problems and this solution was mentioned by Trevor Marshall as being helpful:

"A mouthwash with Cetylpyridinium Chloride disinfectant can reduce dental inflammation and pain. It is much better than toothpaste. I suggest you get a mouthwash with Cetylpyridinium Chloride 0.05% (and no FD&C Yellow #5 or Tartrazine, E!02) in it (carefully look at all the labels in the supermarket), and your mouth should start feeling better. You can get a prescription mouthwash with Cetylpyridinium Chloride. Also, Albertsons/Sav-on/Osco have a "peppermint mouthwash and gargle" that has only 14% alcohol, Cetylpryridinium Chloride, and is colored with Blue#1 (which is fairly innocuous)."

Also it is known that Th1 (auto immune) illnesses can cause all kind of issues with gums (due to the bacteria sequestering there) and problems with enamel, cracks in teeth and TMJ pain or other pains that seem to have no visible causes). Many people with Sarcoidosis being treated on the Marshall Protocol report that these dental symptoms stop or go away after some period of treatment -- including the TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) pain.

Something to look into.

jim

Last edited by JimBBB; 10-08-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thank you Jim and Susan,
I am going to try to find that mouthwash, and take really good care of my gums. Is it possible to have a gum abcess and it make your teeth hurt? Two of my teeth hurt, but like I mentioned earlier, the x-rays show nothing. Or could I have abcessed teeth that isn't showing up on the x-rays? (even after 6 weeks and 4 x-rays) I am trying to decide whether to go to the endodontist or not. I just don't want to wait too long and it go into some serious places, but on the other hand, I don't want to have the Endodontist to go do many things that time itself could heal. Anyways, the one thing throwing me off is just my teeth having this ache, although I can certainly eat on them.
Thanks guys for the advice, I can use all I can get, as I and my dentist are baffled.
Michelle

Closed Thread