It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2001, 07:31 AM   #1

cfaz13 HB User
Talking How long should a crown last?

How long are crowns generally expected to last? Is it common for them to get decay underneath after a number of years? Can the dentist tell from an x-ray if decay is underneath?

Old 03-11-2001, 10:43 AM   #2

Toothfairy HB User
Hi Cfaz13,

A crown can last for a very long time, 10 to 15 or more yrs I would guess. It also depends on how well you take care of it and what kind of crown it is...ie porcelain crown or gold crown. Gold crown generally lasts longer in my opinion. Porcelain sometimes can be chipped off due to grinding teeth or biting something hard and it's old and brittle and sometimes will be chipped off on one corner. Yes, you can get decay under the crown margin or under the gum line if you do not have good home care. You have to floss and keep plaque away from the gum line so the crown stays clean. Xrays will detect decay under crowns or on crown margin. Hope this helps you:-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Toothfairy For This Useful Post:
annam1943 (04-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2001, 01:18 PM   #3

Ship HB User
Studies show that crowns last an average of 10 years. Gold crowns tend to hold up better than porcelain due to their better wear rates (very similar to tooth enamel) and their fracture resistance. Decay underneath a crown is sometimes detectable by probing or x-rays but not always. Crowns require regular brushing and flossing. Nightly use of a flouride rinse is not a bad idea either.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ship For This Useful Post:
annam1943 (04-25-2012)
Old 03-11-2001, 03:31 PM   #4

cfaz13 HB User
Talking

I had bad decay under a crown that was about 10 years old. My prior dentist did not pick up on it and it went on for quite a while. The crown itself (porcelain) was not damaged or anything but I guess stuff was getting in underneath it somehow. My current dentist discovered it right away which is fortunate because the tooth was almost too far gone to be saved.
Thanks all for the information you provided.

Old 03-11-2001, 04:31 PM   #5

Toothfairy HB User
As a hygienist, I detect most of the decays under crown margins. Getting regular check ups will help in early detections. Most of the decays found in my office comes from hygiene room. Once in a while I will "accidentally" knock off a crown due to too much decay under the crown. Patients do not understand why the crown popped off, they think I just knocked it off due to carelessness which is not the case. Usually there is too much decay and it happend to be loose already, the patient just didnt' know. And I get the blame for popping off their crown. Of course my boss is not too upset since sometimes he has to do a new crown:-)

Old 03-11-2001, 04:46 PM   #6

Bonnie HB User
Totally off the subject of crowns , but how about the patients that think you are breaking their teeth off , when you are actually removing the build-up of tarter.
THat one really kills me ! ! !

Old 03-11-2001, 04:51 PM   #7

JudyP63 HB User
I hear you Bonnie.....we have some wonderful stories in our office......YUCK!

Old 03-11-2001, 05:40 PM   #8

Robert2 HB User
Smile

My crowns have lasted nearly twenty years because I learned not to do certain dumb things with my mouth. I learned not to eat Corn Nuts or any other super hard/crunchy food. I don't open cans or bottles with my teeth. I don't strip insulation off of wires with my teeth. I do not bite through bailing twine with my teeth. I don't chew on hard sticks. I don't chew gum. I don't knaw on bones.

In general, your teeth were not designed to knaw down trees. They evolved for you to eat leafy vegetation, roots, nuts and meat. The compressive force of biting on hard materials or clenching your teeth puts and incredible amount of pressure on your crowns and it wears them down, cracks them and sometimes even breaks the adhesive bond. That is what makes them give out to soon.

It doesn't hurt to have them put in by a reputable dentist.

Old 03-11-2001, 08:37 PM   #9

Ship HB User
Words to live by Robert!

Old 03-11-2001, 10:48 PM   #10
Inactive

Shaelle HB User
Hey, LOL Bonnie.

I have just figured that if I hold the crown on while cleaning/flossing around the loose crown, then I don't have to worry about the patient thinking I'm the reason their crown came off. I just tell my Doc. before he comes in, unless the patient is already aware that the crown is loose, then I just tell the Doc. that it's loose right in front of the patient. I haven't had one accidently pop off yet. hehe

Old 03-15-2001, 07:59 PM   #11

terri48 HB User
My dentist told me you can't see decay under a crown, at least not the part that the crown covers. I have a copy of all my x rays, and we also look at them together. On the x ray you see how the tooth underneath is blocked by metal. It scares me to know that if I had pain in those teeth, they would have to remove a crown and start all over, not to mention the cost. I heard that there are new crowns that are transparent on x rays. Does anyone know about them?

Old 03-16-2001, 12:00 AM   #12

Ship HB User
Don't have any crowns that are "transparent" to x-rays just yet... Some of the new full porcelain crowns are less opaque on x-rays but this isn't terribly significant. Just make sure that you brush and floss regularly and if your still concerned then invest in a flouride rinse for nightly use...

Old 03-16-2001, 08:42 AM   #13

cfaz13 HB User
Question

In order to detect decay under a crown is it necessary for the dentist to stick a probe under it and poke around? That's what my latest dentist did. Is the crown supposed to be tight on the gum so you can't get under it?

Closed Thread