It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2001, 04:19 PM   #1

KristiM HB User
Post Fractured root on tooth

If a tooth gets fractured at the root or below the gumline is this always evident on an xray or not?

Could this cause a tooth to develop a lot of pain and inflammation around the area where it is fractured? The tooth had trauma to it.

If the tooth is fractured and then extracted does the inflammation and or infection usually clear up after that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2001, 10:42 PM   #2

tundra HB User
Hi!
From what my Dr's tell me, a root fracture isn't always evident on an x-ray. The bone structure holds the root together. Often, however, an infection will develop at the site of a fracture so that bone degeneration around the site will show. This can take some time, so it depends on how long ago the trauma happened. Sometimes, trauma kills the nerve, so the root may not be fractured, but you may still need a root canal. Of course, extraction would pretty much make it a done deal, and that would be the end of it in either case. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!!

tundra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2001, 04:30 PM   #3

KristiM HB User
Thanks for the information Tundra. It really helped a lot.

Old 03-16-2001, 04:30 PM   #4
(female)

Zimm HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by tundra:
Hi!
From what my Dr's tell me, a root fracture isn't always evident on an x-ray. The bone structure holds the root together. Often, however, an infection will develop at the site of a fracture so that bone degeneration around the site will show. This can take some time, so it depends on how long ago the trauma happened. Sometimes, trauma kills the nerve, so the root may not be fractured, but you may still need a root canal. Of course, extraction would pretty much make it a done deal, and that would be the end of it in either case. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!!
Hi Tundra, I'm new and just read your reply to KristieM, it sounds like what I'm having. Do you know what the physical symptoms are? Thanks for any info!!

Old 03-17-2001, 11:24 PM   #5

tundra HB User
Hi Zimm~
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Is there a particular sypmtom or feeling you have? Has a Dr. evaluated you, or is there a reason you believe you have an infection or fracture? I've never had a fracture myself, but I've had plenty of abcesses. I'm no professional, but I have to beleive they both feel about the same.

tundra

Old 03-18-2001, 10:10 AM   #6
(female)

Zimm HB User
Tundra, I'm so sorry for the abreviated message but I'm sure you can understand how upset I'm feeling. I had discomfort in my left cheek last summer, I went to the dentist, nothing wrong, must be sinuses, so antibiotics. Well it didn't go away so I went to ENT, I told him the dentist said nothing wrong, he found nothing after Naselendoscopy and cat scan, just that I had a small cyst in that area but it couldn't be causing the problem. Okay, back to the dentist, well after several more trips and expensive relighning and adjustment of partial, no difference, in fact got worse. Went back, xrays showed two abcesses, top and bottom. Had root canal on top in October, bottom in November, the top was extremely painful, much more than is usual. Pain still there. In January he did an Apicoectomy, full of infection. He cleaned it out and more antibiotics for the fourth or fifth time. Still hurts, I think I'm clenching more than is usual (always been a clencher. When I read your posting I thought this sounds like what I'm experiencing. Thats why I sent my uninformative reply. Forgive the length of this post but I'm just about at the end of my rope and badly need advice. Thanks for listening. Zimm

Old 03-19-2001, 11:10 PM   #7

tundra HB User
Arrow

Wow-ow-ow!
Jees, just when you thought you'd been thru h**l, someone comes along with a situation like your's. This is more than I have experience with. Don't blame you for being upset ( I would be too!!) It's so frustating when you have expensive visit after visit with no relief. There are some great folks on this board with real professional dental experience, and maybe you can try to start a thread to get some of their expertise. It sounds like you need some real answers to problems I've been lucky enough to skate out of so far! I wish you the best of luck, and will be looking for your posts. Let us know how you progress, and as hard as it is to believe, it WILL get better!

tundra

Closed Thread