It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2001, 06:35 AM   #1

Daniele1 HB User
Question dentures...what do they first feel like?

I am only 31 and I have to get upper dentures and I am very worried about it. Can anyone tell me what I am in for? What do they feel like in your mouth for the first time? That hard plastic part that goes in the roof of your mouth...does it gag you or feel really awkward in there? Please help

Old 04-11-2001, 02:18 PM   #2

Ship HB User
Getting used to a new denture takes time and patience. Some patients adapt fairly easy, some take a little while, and a few never do. I find that the younger patients adapt faster. You have to keep in mind that that your speech and eating processes are going to change. Most people get used to this in a month or two. A few people gag at first but the body usually adapts to this fairly quickly. The most common effect that patients describe to me is that they salivate a lot at first because of having something in their mouth so frequently. Usually the top denture is more stable and easier to get used to. Keep in mind that when you get your denture you MUST leave it out for 8 hours every day (most leave it out at night) and clean it daily...

[This message has been edited by Ship (edited 04-11-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2001, 04:21 AM   #3
(female)

Theresa341 HB User
I am only 26 and had to get an upper denture at 24 because my teeth are so soft and had many problems. It kinda felt like you had a wad of something in your mouth at first, but that only lasts for a day or two. I had problems with my s's for a while. I would almost kind of whistle whenever I said a word that had s in it. I just practiced talking when I was alone and it cleared up in a short time. As for eating, go with soft foods for a couple days at least as your gums will be sore. After a month, I would imagine you will feel like it is just part of your mouth. Good Luck!

Closed Thread