It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2001, 02:35 PM   #1

KathyMcD HB User
Unhappy swollen lip - what do I do?

Hello - my son (7) bit into a stale piece of candy from a gumball machine and broke a molar in 3 parts - they ended up removing the tooth (baby one). His cheek was swollen from the novecain but it has gone down but now his lip is swollen (just the lower part, about half of it) on the side where the work was done. The top part of the lip is white and almost feels like rubber. There are no blisters, it looks almost like he was bitten by a spider - the white ends right by where the molar was pulled. What can I do for him? It's been 30 hours and it's still puffy and white. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2001, 04:37 PM   #2

Robert2 HB User
Something is not right. He needs to see his doctor as soon as possible. I would suggest you have his doctor paged now and tell him what happened. He will tell you if the child needs to go to the emergency room.

In the mean time, give the child popcycles to suck on. The cold popcycle will numb his lip and help to reduce the swelling.

Don't call the dentist. This is not a dental problem any more. It's a medical problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2001, 06:09 PM   #3

Ship HB User
I'm not convinced that you have an emergency on your hands just yet... Often times with kids the shot itself will open a blood vessel and cause some swelling. This is normal and should resolve by itself in a few days. Another common problem is that kids sometimes chew on their lip while its numb, without realizing it. This can cause swelling as well. Take your child's temperature to make sure he dosen't have a fever (a sign of significant infection) and if not just watch him for the next couple of days. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2001, 06:15 PM   #4

KathyMcD HB User
Thanks - I called the doctor and he said since there was no fever and the lip felt warm not cold then there should be no concern - unless it's that way still a week after the molar was pulled. Hopefully it will go away soon - the swelling has gone down some but the entire inside of his lip is still white.

Closed Thread