It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2001, 12:09 PM   #1

jwclark HB User
Post Pulling Wisdom Teeth

First, let me start out by giving you some background information on my situation. I have all of my wisdom teeth in and they fit in my mouth just right. I am in my mid-twenty’s and have never really had any problems with my teeth. I have a very good relationship with my dentist and trust his judgement.

About 5 months ago I developed an abscess in my gum behind my wisdom tooth on the bottom left side of my mouth. The abscess started getting infected on a Friday and by Sunday I was in terrible pain. My dentist saw me on Monday, irrigated the abscess, and gave me an antibiotic. The gum healed, but a piece of the gum never fully reattached itself. My dentist told me that I had two choices. If the gum ever was infected again I could either have the gum cut back or have the tooth pulled. Well yesterday, my gum started bothering me again.

This leads me to my question. What is the pain factor associated with having a wisdom tooth pulled that is not impacted? Is there anything I should be concerned about before/during/after I get the tooth pulled. I have read quite a few horror stories about wisdom teeth and dry pockets. I am just trying to get a feel for what I am up against.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 04-17-2001, 12:38 PM   #2

Cyberborg HB User
I had all four wisdom teeth extracted in one session, years ago - which may or not make a difference. Two bone impactions (bottom) and two soft impactions. I had also heard and seen the horror stories about wisdom tooth extraction and figured I was in for real nasty experience.

Actually, when I went to see the oral surgeon, I was going in to have only the bone impactions done. After X-rays, he suggested I have the tops extracted also - same time, same place.

I asked him if he thought I was nuts or what - given the things I had heard. He lauged and said that, done with the bone extractions, I would not even know that the tops were extracted. OK Fine - for the tops but it sure made me (more) nervous about the bottoms. He said that sometimes people do have some misery but, in general, few people have more than relatively minor discomofort. I had local anesthetic which (although I've never had nitrous oxide - laughing gas) I generally think is better that general anesthetics.

He turned out to be right. I went back to work (it was one of those "inventory" days where they threaten your job if you don't show up) but since I was spitting blood - bothered others but not me - I went home.

As far as dry sockets are concerned, I think there is a random element with them but get the feeling that what you do after the extractions has much to do with it. Follow what the oral surgeon says to do.

Note I keep saying oral surgeon. No reflection on you dentist but in general it is far better to go to someone who does whatever often - really often. Oral surgeons are alway chopping on the bone in someones mouth. Dentists so a lot of filling. They are not, obviously, the same thing. Same thing applies to something like root canals. Most dentists, I think, do far less than 100 a year. Sorry - not enough. Some dentists specialize in root canals. Same deal. Go to them.

No reflection on dentists at all. But its your mouth. My dentist is the one who sent me to the oral surgeon -- because he said he doesn't do enough extractions to be as good at it as the oral surgeon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2001, 01:33 PM   #3
Inactive

Lori HB User
Thumbs up

I agree with Cyberborg. For me I had two simple extractions and one boney impaction. I didnt even know the simples were out!!! Since I was wary of touching the sites for awhile I actually had to look to make sure there was no wisdom tooth back there *laugh* And even the boney impaction was only a throbbing pain, nothing really. Plus they give you pain medication to help, I only had T3 and that kept the pain in check.
And follow the oral surgeons post operation instructions and you will be just fine. Most of the people who get their wisdom teeth out dont experiance a horror story.
Take care!
Lori

Old 05-06-2001, 08:39 PM   #4

Veggie HB User
Thumbs up

I had all four wisdom teeth pulled due to decay and this should save me lots of money and trouble in the long run. Each tooth pulled already had at least one filling on it. Plus, the teeth is front of the wisdom teeth were decaying from food getting caught back there. Get them out if you can. You don't need them! Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Veggie (edited 05-06-2001).]

Old 05-10-2001, 08:48 PM   #5

Jaspara HB User
jw,
You seem to have already had some bone loss in that area which has already created a pocket and if very ripe for infection after infection to ensue unless you do either of these two things, and pronto before you get another infection. One is remove the tooth, two, see a periodontist.
There is a very good chance that once that area is scaled down, the gum line will restore itself and heal up, therefore leaving no breeding ground for further infection and bone loss, but again it depends on the degree of bone loss present at
this time.
good luck..

Jaspara

Closed Thread