It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2001, 02:42 PM   #1

Dee123 HB User
Post Does molar have to be replaced?

I need to have top 2nd molar extracted due to failed root canal. Does this tooth need to be replaced in order to maintain rest of teeth properly. I have excellent dental health other than this one tooth. It will be my first extraction other than wisdom teeth.
What are options for replacing a back tooth and does it need to be replaced? My husband lost both his upper and lower back molar last year and his dentist said no need to replace those teeth is this advice correct.

Any help appreciated
Dee

Old 06-09-2001, 01:13 AM   #2

Christie HB User
Hi
I'm sorry i can't answer your molar question - Ship the dentist will be better at answering that!

But I'd like to know why you feel your root canal failed and why you extracted it. Was it pain or what was it?

After bad luck with root canals myself i am just taking a little survey from time to time on what happened to other people who feel they failed.

Thanks.
Christie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2001, 01:42 PM   #3

Dee123 HB User
Hi, Christie, in answer to your question the molar wasn't extracted yet it will be this week. I hope Ship does answer my question though. Anyway, I didn't decide it failed my dentist and endodontist both said that a certain number of root canals fail and then the tooth has to be extracted. I was in pain for awhile following root canal and the tooth was originally canalled because it broke while I was eating the dentist feels that perhaps break was all the way to root but xray never confirmed. Two dentists agree that extraction is the only choice for this tooth. I am still wondering and hoping tooth doesn't have to be replaced since it's the last one in the back. Ship?

Old 06-09-2001, 05:17 PM   #4

Robert2 HB User
Just in case Ship doesn't get back to you, I have known allot of people who have had their back molars removed after they allowed them to get too rotten to save. It did not affect the spacing of their teeth and it doesn't show when they smile. You just need to be careful until it heals and firms up and remember to brush the side of the exposed molar. Caries tend to start in those places you can't see.

If you ever smoke a corncob pipe, the gap makes a nice socket for the stem. : )

Closed Thread