It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

Kimberly16 HB User
Question Numb Lip and partial chin numbness after oral surgery

Hi ,
I was wondering and hoping for some advise, I had an small infection due to a bad tooth, took pencilin then when finished went to a dentist because pain came back when the penicilin finished... i was sent to an oral surgeon , who then removed the tooth and place a drain tube in, claims to drain the infection, After the tube was removed 1/ 2 of my bottom lip is still numb and a few of my bottom teeth and a tiny part of my chin....2 weeks later the dentist said can take a few months for feeling to come back.. then later said maybe by spring.... Now says he dont know, really has never seen it last more then 2 weeks , it has been since July, almost 3 months, and wants to now do a nother procedure, by drilling into the bone where the tooth was and cleaning it out. I am afraid to do that... but i was hoping someone else had this or maybe has an opinion... also after the surgery I was on a new antibiotic for a week

Last edited by Kimberly16; 10-11-2005 at 08:35 PM.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:09 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User
Re: Numb Lip and partial chin numbness after oral surgery

Kimberly, I'm suggesting that you get a second opinion from a maxillo-facial surgeon.

Several years ago I had a section of my jaw removed and was told by my maxillo guy at that time that there's a nerve running horizontally through your jaw. He said that he would need to cut that nerve and rejoin the jaw. He also said that "most" of the time the nerve reconnects to itself and my feeling would return, probably in a year or less.

After several years, I still have half of my lower lip numb and a section of my chin under my lip is also numb, just like you.

So - you could give it another few months to see if your nerve reconnects, or you could see a maxillo guy for further input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
(female)

Kimberly16 HB User

Art.
thank you for answer to my question....the oral surgeon who did the work to begin with does oral/ maxillofacial surgery.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:15 PM   #4
(female)

ginmor HB User

I had implants put on two of my side bottom teeth and mine has been numb since the surgery which was a year ago. The only thing I know is that hit a nerve and personally, I think they should have been more careful. My own opinion is that they should have taken X-rays to see where all of the nerves were before they did that to me but they didn't. and now I am numb and it bugs the heck out of me.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:36 PM   #5
(male)

SRT2 HB User

I had lower implants in July and have had some "tingling" or numbness in my
lower lip, jaw and chin. My periodontist said they probably irratated the nerve
that runs along the lower jaw and that it could take six to nine months to go
away. He did say that in about 10% of the cases where the nerve is irratated
it could be permanant. So, I've had it for three months and it irritates the heck
out of me. There has been slight but slow improvement.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #6
(female)

Kimberly16 HB User

Thank you for all your replys, I would just like to add, I did have the xrays before the surgery to see where the nerve was.... obviously that did not do any good, And I did NOT do the second sergery i talked about in my first message, i decided to wait and try to get a second opinion, truth is i am afraid of more damage being done, and this is already a very annoying thing to me.

Last edited by Kimberly16; 10-21-2005 at 07:47 AM.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
(female)

Cocoleone HB User

I had my wisdom teeth pulled over ten years ago, for about 7 years my lower left half of my lip was numb. It took a decade to recover most feeling in it. My dentist must've just rammed into a nerve and cause nerve damage. Even getting a filling 6 months ago, my tooth is seriously sensitive to hot, cold, air, liquids - everything! I dread the dentist because of the long term effects always.

Closed Thread