It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2001, 09:01 AM   #1

sb27 HB User
Post Lingual Braces - Problems!!!!

Someone please help!!

I got lingual braces about 10 days ago.
Since that time, I have had a few problems:

1. When I bite, only the right side of my teeth meet!
The left side has a large space between the top and
bottom rows. Does anyone know what's going on?
I keep biting my jaw which goes between the space!!!

2. Apparently, I clench my teeth together when I sleep.
This morning, I broke the bracket? on the inner lower molar that it furthest back. I'm sure that this is pretty bad since I have linguals and this bracket, is the one that seems to be kinda holding everything in place.

I called my orthodontist's office and the assistant told me to put it in a bag and bring it when I come for my visit in another 4 weeks...seems like a long time to wait to me. Will my teeth have gone back to their original, unadjusted positions by then?

Also, I'm pretty ticked b/c I don't see how, if the brackets were properly placed, I could bite down and break one off (it's on the inside of my tooth).

Can someone tell me where I can find a contraption to stick in my mouth between my teeth while I sleep so that this does not happen again?

Thanks!
SummerBreeze

holding everything in place.

Old 08-01-2001, 07:12 PM   #2
Inactive

Dr.Phier HB User
I assume you ment biting your tongue (its hard to bite your jaw) because you have an open bite on one side. Sometimes this is normal durring treatment, somtimes its a side effect. Its not the end of the world, point it out to your orthodontist and see what they say.

Brackets sometimes fall off, and brackets inside your mouth are even more likely to fall off then the normal kind. 90% of the time they fall off because of something you did to them, not due to anything the orthodontist did. Also we need something of a dry field to bond them on, and if you think getting a dry field inside the mouth on the palatal side of the teeth think again. I am not overly familar with the day to day use of lingual brackets since I have no desire to ever use them so your best bet is to ask your orthodontist if they have anything they can give you to prevent problems at night.

As for missing a bracket causing problems it depends on the bracket. At times I will have brackets come off on patients which do not need to be replaced right away or at all, normaly these are on the premolar teeth. I can't really comment on this case as I have no idea whats going on but normaly its not a major problem and you won't have much/any relaspe.

Lingual braces are a compromise, they are NOT as good as 'normal' braces, and their only bonus is you can't see them. Personaly I don't know how people tolerate them.

[This message has been edited by Dr.Phier (edited 08-01-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2001, 07:11 AM   #3

sb27 HB User
Thanks Dr. Phier for your reply.

Actually, yes, I'm biting my jaw (not my tongue) through the space between my teeth that I mentioned. The top left row actually doesn't meet the bottom left row anymore on the left.

My ortho told me that this is because they "opened my bite". You're right, it's not the end of the world, but it sure does hurt to keep biting my jaw while I eat.

My bracket didn't fall off. I *bit* it off at night while I was asleep. I gnashed my teeth together so hard that I woke myself up and found a loose bracket. Thus, my question about if anyone knew of a device that I could stick in my mouth while I am asleep.

Do you know of any such devices?

Thanks,
summerbreeze

Old 08-02-2001, 07:19 AM   #4

sb27 HB User
I looked in another thread.
I guess a bite guard, whatever that is , is what I need.

Thanks for your help,
summerbreeze

Closed Thread