It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2001, 09:31 AM   #1

murfnmacomb HB User
Post how long to eat after wisdom teeth removed

I am new so I will keep this quick. I had all four wisdom teeth removed 14 days ago. I am eating only with my front teeth. Unsure how long I should wait before trying to eat with my back teeth. This is really limiting items that I can have for meals. Anyone have any idea how long I should wait before it is safe? Thanks all.

Old 08-29-2001, 08:06 PM   #2

jgirl HB User
You should be ready to begin eating normally again. Just be sure to rinse your mouth out gently after each meal. Try peridex mouthwash. It's available my prescription only but it helps to heal the mouth quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2001, 03:43 PM   #3

murfnmacomb HB User
I am still unsure. Things just don't feel right in my mouth. Can I do any damage? The stitches in the lower ones fell out a long time ago. I still can't open my jaw all the way without extreme pain so food is hard to get in. I am afraid to chew back there and make things worse. Don't know if I should call the oral surgeon and tell him what is going on or if I should wait a while longer and see how things improve. I don't know anyone who has taken this long to recover. It is getting tiresome. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.

Old 08-30-2001, 05:52 PM   #4

jgirl HB User
Since you're having pain in your jaw when you open it it might be a good idea to call the surgeon. It's possible that you have inflamation in your jaw. I kind of experienced the same thing after my wisdom teeth were extracted and I just took a round of Anaprox to reduce the inflamation. If you still don't think you're ready to go back to your normal diet again just eat softer foods and gradually work your way back into other stuff. Grilled or baked chicken, salads, potatoes, potroast, ground beef, and so forth shouldn't be too bad. The main thing is just to make sure that you're not packing food in the socket, that can make things very painful for you. If possible get a syringe and irrigate the sockets out gently after you eat and you shouldn't have any problems. Everybody heals differently, so don't get discourages. Call your surgeon and discuss your concerns with them. The least they'll do is give you some peace of mind. I hope everything gets better.

Closed Thread