It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2001, 05:14 PM   #1

julie321 HB User
Question brushing without toothpaste?

I have a sore in my mouth and everytime I brush I think it irratates it. Can I just use water to brush my teeth, or will my teeth rot out? Should I use baking soda instead? I just want the best way to brush without to much irratation and clean teeth. Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2001, 08:15 PM   #2

Robert2 HB User
Baking soda is OK as long as you use a flouride rinse afterwards. If it's the taste that bothers you. Look for fruit flavored toothpaste. Just because it's marketed for children doesn't mean you can't use it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2001, 06:32 PM   #3

julie321 HB User
Question

Is it ok just to brush with water for a while. I have a sore that won't heal and I am trying to get it to go away. Why do I need flouride with baking soda? Isn't there enough flouride in water these days?

Anyway, can I just brush with water or will my teeth decay?

Old 08-26-2001, 04:52 PM   #4

Robert2 HB User
Some cities put flouride in the water, some do not. Many people don't drink enough of the water to benefit from the flouride content. That's why you need a flouride rinse.

Toothpaste contains soap just like the soap you wash your hands with. If you just wash your hands with water, you don't really get them clean and sanitized. The same goes for your teeth. You can brush with just water, but they will not be as clean and you will be more likely to develope perridontal disease.

Baking soda is a mild abrasive and it has a slight foaming action to help get your teeth clean. It's not as effective as toothpaste, but it is better than water alone. Some people rinse with a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide when they have a sore mouth. It kills germs but, it is kind of foamy.

If you have a particular problem with toothpaste, why not call your dentist and as for their recommendation. Maybe they know of product that you will like.

Old 08-29-2001, 07:12 PM   #5
Inactive

Shaelle HB User
Red face

Okay, I think we need a little correction. Robert2 is right a toothpaste is like a soap, it has a foaming action too, and it is also a mild abraisive. But.....IT IS NOT THE TOOTHPASTE THAT CLEANS YOUR TEETH! Sorry. It's the TOOTHBRUSH that cleans your teeth. In fact you don't have to use a toothpaste at all, you could just use water. But what toothpaste does have are theraputic agents in it like fluoride to help strengthen your teeth, and pyrophosphates that inhibit tarter formation. Some people have tissue reactions to tarter control toothpastes. These reactions can be very mild, where you don't even notice or more severe, where you notice, but don't quite know what is causing the problem. Symptoms can be very mild like with a slight sloughing of the tissues, usually un-noticed. A general burning feeling after brushing with a tarter control toothpaste, or more severely, a burning sensation with a sore. So try changing to a regular toothpaste, like Crest cavity protection, original flavor. You can also try a childrens toothpaste with a different flavor other than mint and see if that also helps. Or just dip your toothbrush in listerine and brush, and use a fluoride rinse like ACT. But if you are useing a fluoride rinse you need to follow the directions to get the therapeutic effect of it. Be wary though...listerine also has a tarter control rinse, and there are now toothfloss's that come with a tarter control coating. Read your labels. Sorry so long, I hope this helps answer your question. Good Luck!

Old 08-29-2001, 08:15 PM   #6
Inactive

amyplm HB User
Talking

HI--Wanted to tell you about a great toothpaste made with'tea tree oil'--it's available in most health food shops--or if you have an organic grocery store.you get all the benefits of toothpaste, and tea tree oil has excellent healing properties for most sores. For instance, tea tree oil shampoo is good for people w/scalp irritations. good luck.

Old 08-29-2001, 09:01 PM   #7

jgirl HB User
Hi Julie321! It should be fine to brush without toothpaste until the soreness in your mouth goes away. As long as you're removing the plaque from your teeth they're not going to decay. I'd suggest that you rinse with a flouride mouth wash also. Not only does it contain fluoride, but it will freshen your breath in the abcense of toothpaste. One other suggestion is to use Amosan powder to clear up the irritation in your mouth. It's an oral wound cleanser and when used for a week or so it speed up the healing time of sores. We use this stuff religiously in my periodontal practice. It's basically the same concept as rinsing with warm salty water without the "salty burn", as I like to refer to it and it's minty. So it leaves a good taste in your mouth. I believe it can be purchased at Walmart or most drug stores. Hope this has helped.

Old 09-17-2001, 04:55 PM   #8

Erricca HB User
Try using the ultrasonic toothbrush called Sonicare, and the toothpaste called Closys II.

Sonicare is available at most drugstores. $80 to $100 for the least expensive model, but a good investment. It is very gentle and cleans better than manual and electric toothbrushes. I will never use a manual or electric toothbrush again. I am not sure about the other ultrasonic toothpaste brands. Sonicare was the toothbrush that one of my former dentists recommended.

My first Closys II toothpaste was given to me by my former dentist. It does not form bubbles, it is not abrasive, and it has an ingredient that is very good for the gums. It is more expensive than regular toothpastes.

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 09-17-2001).]

Closed Thread