It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
(female)

SweetieBird HB User
Extraction vs. root canal of #18 molar

I am a newbie here but have to make a decision(by October's end) and need to garner information about who to go to for some answers. I have a left lower (#18) molar that has had an old silver filling for 33 years and has cracked my tooth and part of a back cusp has chipped off. Had my regular dentist here try to redo the filling, couldn't as could not numb it enough, we watched it and 3 months later in September noticed it looked different, xrayed and said it may need a root canal. Hmmm, I HATE going to dentists to begin with. I went to see the endodontist and he said it needed a root canal, they have to bore a hole in my jaw to properly numb it (Oh Gads)and then I will need a crown. After reading a few posts on this board and talking to a few people I wonder if it is not just better, easier, less traumatic, less expensive to just PULL this tooth out and be done with it. I asked the endo if we could just pull it and he stated that we could but the gums and bone structure about the tooth looked good the the tooth was healthy. Now, how healthy can a tooth be when we are going to give it a root canal???

Should I go see oral/facial/max surgeon to see about another opinion? I would hate to have a rc and have problem after problem as I have a very busy life not to mention have had enough trauma with other experiences and want to just live my life and not be going for appointments all the time.

Thank you in advance!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2005, 06:18 AM   #2
(female)

Jovach51 HB User
Re: Extraction vs. root canal of #18 molar

SweetieBird,

I am in the same situation with all of my back molars. All of them have either silver filings or at one time had a root canal done, but never had them crowned. As a result they have cracked, broke off etc. Since I am 51, I decided just to have them pulled and get partial dentures. I will only have my upper right molars left after this week when my dentist pulls the last molar on the bottom right side. I too hate going to the dentist with a passion, but I finally found one that will not lecture me on what he feels should be done. He gave me options and I chose to have them pulled. Trying to rebuild an old tooth that has cracked has no guarantee that it will hold up after a root canal and crown. Crowns and root canals often are expensive if you do not not have coverage and when you do the math, partials are of equal cost and don't have the worry of having to eventually pull out if the crown does not hold. (Am I making any sense here)

Anyway, this is just my experience. I know that my teeth are in bad shape at this stage in my life and I feel I should go the route that will make me feel comfortable.

Take care

Old 10-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
(female)

SweetieBird HB User

Thank you, Jovach!! You are making sense totally! So, I need to see an oral surgeon about removal of this molar?

Old 10-18-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
(female)

RachelmLo HB User

It is always better to save your teeth if it is possible. Sometimes it is not. Having the root canal and crown would make the tooth healthy again, and if the supporting structure around the tooth is good, it seems worthwhile to me. If you have the tooth extracted, you will need to either get a partial denture or a dental implant to replace the missing tooth, which will cost as much or more than restoring the tooth to begin with. (tooth number 18 is usually the last tooth on that side, unless your wisdom tooth is erupted, and being the last one means you are not a candidate for a bridge). If you simply pull the tooth and do nothing to replace it, then over time, all the teeth will eventually shift, throwing your bite out of alighnment and worst case senario causing you to need to have additional teeth pulled and/or jaw problems. I know this may sound a little harsh, but please understand simply "having the tooth pulled" is very very rarely that simple, and no replacement of a tooth is ever as good as having your natural tooth.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
(female)

gleebrand HB User

In February, I had #18 extracted. I plan on getting an implant, but only after braces that will hopefully correct my bite. Before the implant, I'll need to have a bone graft since I lost some of the bone that is required to hold the implant. It will probably be next year when I finally get the implant. It's all very involved and expensive, but I hear it is worth the cost.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #6
(female)

gleebrand HB User

In February, I had #18 extracted. I plan on getting an implant, but only after braces that will hopefully correct my bite. Before the implant, I'll need to have a bone graft since I lost some of the bone that is required to hold the implant. It will probably be next year when I finally get the implant. It's all very involved and expensive, but I hear it is worth the cost. The challenge is that you're unable to chew on the left side because you're missing a critical tooth - and this can cause additional bone loss and jaw problems.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
(male)

john29 HB User

If it were me I would save that tooth. That tooth may not mean much to you now, but imagine if you were to break the tooth in front of it and it needed to come out. You would them still be able to have a bridge placed. Too many times we think of teeth as just things that cause problems, and not of body parts. If you have a problem with your finger, would you cut it off?

Closed Thread