It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2001, 01:04 PM   #1

Michelesss HB User
Post Pain with temp. crown

10 days ago I had a temp. crown put on a back molar. (no root canal, just a crown). I need to know if there is a "calming down" period for a tooth that has been prepped for a crown. I have been having pain (sometimes severe and throbbing) on and off ever since. Also at times, sensitivity to cold. Sometimes it doesn't hurt at all. I have been back to my dentist twice and x rays show no problem with the root and no infection. He even took off the temp and touched and scraped the tooth and said that if there was a problem I would have jumped out of the chair. He has adjusted the bite and that helped a little bit but it still hurts. He wants me to wait until I get the permanent crown on and see how it feels then. Is this normal? Is a tooth more painful and sensitive with the temporary than it would be with the permanent on? I have been taking 6-8 Motrin and 2-3 Tylenol every day and don't want to continue this way. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2001, 05:25 PM   #2
Inactive

Shaelle HB User
I have got to tell you, one of my worst dental experiences was a temporary crown. My tooth was so sensitive with the temporary crown, that I kept myself drunk on wine coolers for a week. It only took a week for the permanent crown and I couldn't wait to get in there. The doctor had to numb me up just to take off the temporary. But once I had the permanent crown put on the sensitivity was basically gone. I still had some sensitivity along the edge of the tooth where it meets the crown, that took about 9 months to finally go away. It only bothered me when somebody would take an instrument along the edge of the crown. I hated getting the crown, but now that it's there my tooth feels so much better than it did before the crown.

Hang in there, see if the sensitivity goes away after the permanent crown is placed and if it doesn't subside, then you may need to have a root canal proceedure done. This way they will just go through the top of the crown and fill it. But do give it some time to get better.

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread