It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM   #1

anr HB User
Question Crowding of bottom teeth occuring in mid 20's!!!

I went to my dentist a few months ago for my 6 month cleaning and he asked me to start wearing an essix retainer to keep my bottom teeth from crowding more than they already had, so I wore it. He also suggested that I see an orthodontist about the crowding that had occured. I went to the ortho and he said I had moderate crowding on the bottom, and that He'd like me to wear braces for approx 12 months. I don't want to wear braces, I'm 26 and look really young already. Will any major damage occur to my teeth if I just don't do anything about the crowding?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
(male)

john29 HB User
Re: Crowding of bottom teeth occuring in mid 20's!!!

ask your dentist what the risks are of not having the braces.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #3

anr HB User

Apparently my teeth will continue to crowd together over my lifetime, but will that cause major damage to my teeth if left untreated?

Old 10-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
(male)

john29 HB User

straight teeth are easier to keep clean. When teeth are crowded, it becomes much more difficult to floss properly. If you are good with the brush and floss, crooked lower front teeth probably won't cause any major problems.

Old 10-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #5

anr HB User

Thanks John for the info. I have had quite a bit of trouble getting floss between the crowded teeth. It sounds like I should just suck it up and wear the braces, it's only a year right? I'll let you know how it goes if you want.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I have the same problem, I had braces in my teens and in my early 20's after having braces removed for a couple years I noticed my upper teeth were moving, I asked my dentist and we figured out I was clenching my teeth together so hard at night that I was moving my teeth, so I was fitted for a nighttime mouthguard that looks alot like what the sports players wear to protect their teeth, anyway my upper teeth are fine now but my 4 lower front teeth are crowding...I want to get the braces to straighten them then I will be fitted for a retainer to wear at night to prevent further crowding. I have to see an orthodontist still so I don't know how long I'd have to wear them, but I figure most people probably wouldn't notice because my lip would cover my bottom teeth, my top teeth are straight so my dentist and I don't think I'd have to get braces on them as well....what did your orthodontist say, braces on just the bottom or both top and bottom...and how many teeth are crowded on your bottom...all my other teeth except the front 4 are fine.
P.S I know further down the line you'll be happy that you did the braces for 12 months and have nice straight teeth...thats why I'm willing to do it all over again.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 10-22-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:49 PM   #7

anr HB User

I've never worn braces before, so my top teeth aren't perfectly straight. I have a small amount of crowding in my top, 2 of my teeth are a bit turned in. My ortho said he wouldn't put braces on 1 arch with out aligning the other as well. He said moving the bottom teeth will change my bite, and the top teeth need to be moved to the same bite. My lower teeth are moderately crowded, my 6 front lower teeth are crooked, and turned as a result of the crowding. One of my lower molars was pushed more toward my cheek when my wisdom teeth were starting to come in too. The crowding did bother me at first when it started a few years ago, but now I'm having trouble keeping those lower front teeth clean, and I keep biting my lip when I'm chewing. I keep bitting myself in the same place, it's so hard I usually draw blood and it swells which leads to more biting. I'm not thrilled about wearing the braces, but I know I need to fix my teeth before they crowd anymore. Keep me posted with your situation.

Old 10-22-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Sounds like braces really are your best move if you keep biting yourself...thanks for sharing your info...I have a dentist appintment on November 16th to refix an old broken tooth...they only last so many years before they need to be refixed...so I am going to get my ortho referral then...I'll keep you posted. Take care.
P.S 1 year isn't bad at all, I had my braces for 2 years.

Old 10-23-2005, 04:14 PM   #9
(male)

john29 HB User

Do what you think is right, but make sure you have all the information before you make the decision. Good luck

Old 10-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #10

anr HB User

Thanks John. I have an appointment with my ortho tomorrow. I'm going to tell him to go ahead with the braces. I don't think I can afford my teeth to crowd anymore than they have already. I'll only have to wear them for a year, then I'll have great teeth.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #11

anr HB User

Here's the update, I got my braces on today. My teeth ache alot right now. I'm eating soft foods, and taking tylenol to help. I 've developed a lisp, I'm not really sure why, and I feel like my lips stick out alot. Sorry to complain so much. I have to keep reminding myself that it's only a year. I hope this is all normal stuff, I've never worn braces before so I'm new to all of this. Will the lisp go away?

Old 11-10-2005, 01:00 AM   #12

Sebastian HB User
Lightbulb Re: Crowding of bottom teeth occuring in mid 20's!!!

Dear anr,

your dentist --assumes-- that the crowding will continue; your dentist --believes-- that there is no way to prevent it, and your dentist has --probably not-- visited [removed], where I have written about some of the holistic methods of dental care that I have successfully used.

Crowding teeth may the biggest and most effort requiring of the long term dental problems, somewhere equal to stopping tooth decay.

The best way I have found to stop crowding is to eat a lot of hard foods, like carrots and other raw vegetables for a long time, like several years.

Going to the gym is another option for someone your age if you are healthy enough to do so; if not, then you could work up to that by beginning with 30 mins of stretches and easy exercises a couple of mornings a week.

Iron in the diet is another good one: I reccomend root vegetables and nettle in the soup or steamed root veges with nettle and parsley sprinkled on top.

Superb nutrition is another method that can achieve the result you're looking for. Here I refer to raw food, or nutrition at the level reccomended by Weston A Price.

The first thing to do, anr, if you want to reverse crowding teeth, is simply eliminate all anutritious things from your diet. Then identify what you eat that's good for you and get used to eating those things.

These things may still not be 'good' enough, depending on your nutrition education, physical demands, and so forth. If so, you can educate yourself about superfoods, healthy old fashioned cooking, eating habits, and so forth, so that you are getting all the minerals you need.

Crowding teeth is probably an indication of insufficient kidney function for teeth to straighten naturally, or insufficient exercise of the jaws or the whole body.

Best wishes to you,
please write to me if you want more suggestions,

Sebastian

Whoooooooooops, I just noticed that you have your braces on already. Well, some of these things you can still do, such as take nettle herb and root veges in soups.

[Do not list websites with advertising or links to advertising. Please read the board guidelines by clicking the "Posting Rules" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 11-11-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:00 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Anr,
The aching is normal it will last a day or two and each time they tighten your braces it will be similiar. Tylenol is the best thing, I would take it an hour before my tightenings so I would prevent some of the aching. The lips sticking out is more noticable to you than to anyone who doesn't know you, and the lisp will get a bit better once you are used to the braces and learn to speak with them. A year is not that long at all so be patient and you will be rewarded with a nice set of teeth to smile about. I have a dentist appointment on the 16th so I'm asking to be referred to the orthodontist so I can have a consult and then decide what to do about my 4 bottom teeth.
Talk to you soon, take care.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #14

anr HB User

Thanks for the encouragement Km. I really needed that. My teeth feel really loose right now, but the ache is starting to subside a little. How long does it take to adjust to speaking with braces? Talk to you soon.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I wish I could remember...it was so long ago, but I know I did get better at it, you almost have to always try to kinda suck the saliva out from your braces and teeth and swallow before you talk. The first little while I think you may possibly produce extra saliva because your body thinks you have a foreign object in there...but I think it gets better eventually....Or maybe I just got better at eliminating it quickly. Your teeth will feel loose after tightening because they are shifting.
Goodluck.

Closed Thread