It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

Severine HB User
Sore gums above new procera crowns

I had four new procera crowns fitted on my upper four front teeth in August. This was following a two month period when, for various complicated reasons, I couldn'thave permanent crowns fitted and had linked temporary units over the stumps. For the first five weeks with the new proceras, I had no problems at all. They looked and felt great. The gum that had been pushed up by the linked unit quickly grew down filling the gaps between the new crowns. Then five weeks in, the gum joining the top of the two front crowns became inflamed, red, and mishapen. It has been like this for the past month or so. My dentist says that this is not unusual with porcelain (rather than metal-topped) crowns, and that I just need to brush vigorously with an electric toothbrush, persisting even if the area bleeds. I'm trying but it's very unpleasant and i'm seeing no improvement.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with proceras? What did you do? How long did the problem last? Do you think my dentist's advice about brushing is good? It seems a little brutal. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

rake HB User
Re: Sore gums above new procera crowns

Have you been tested for metal alergies? They use aluminum oxide in those crowns. Always remember a dentist is NOT a physician.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Have you tried flossing using a floss threader - even though you may have a good snug fit you could be gathering some "debri" between the unit and the gum tissue.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
Have you tried flossing using a floss threader - even though you may have a good snug fit you could be gathering some "debri" between the unit and the gum tissue.
This was my thinking. Plus telling you to brush vigorously scares me. If you wear away your gums they are gone forever. There has to be an easier way to get below the crowns beside hard brushing. How about a water pick if you can't get the floss under? I think there might be debris under the crowns or like the other poster said if not then maybe an allergy to something.

A toothpick gently nudged under the crowns seems less invasive than hard brushing. Please Stop hard brushing your damaging your gums permanently.

Last edited by anitak1982; 01-31-2007 at 02:59 AM.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
(male)

john33 HB User

Definitely not an allergy, either 1) the crowns are too bulky by the gums and are trapping debris, or 2) the crowns have been made to sit too far down in the gums, too close to the bone. From what it sounds like, I think its the second. The material the crowns are made from is irrelevant. BTW: an allery to aluminum oxide would prevent you from consuming/using half the products in your life, so forget about that.

Closed Thread