It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2002, 01:53 PM   #1

sudzie HB User
Red face My crown fell off and I swallowed it!

Help!
My crown fell off and I swallowed it before I discovered it gone. I called the dentist and he said there were 2 things that I can do. #1I can pay $600 for a new one and #2 I can wait a couple of days until it comes out, then they will sterilize it and put it back....yuck!
I can not afford to have a new one put in right now. This one wasn't even a month old as it is.
My questions are Has anyone actually had to do this? How long does it take? and HOW??
Any info appreciated.

------------------
Sudzie

Old 03-19-2002, 03:33 PM   #2
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Hi Sudzie. Gosh, what a horrible thing to have happened to you! If it were me, I would try and see if it will come out; let them sterilize it, and put it back on. Its gross, I know, but $500.00 isn't chump change. I would just make sure I had a strainer under me when I had a bowel movement. Look at it this way: no one else will know about it, accept you and your dentist. Unless the crown comes out damaged, it should be okay. It also sounds like your dentist didn't properly glue the crown in place. It should not have come off in a month. You could also try contacting the labratory that made the crown: they might make you a new one, seeing as the last one fell off so quickly. Good luck to you! Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2002, 06:02 PM   #3
Inactive

Shaelle HB User
Hmmm....if it were me, I'd be putting alot of pressure on the dentist to make me a new one, free of charge! After about 2 months after I got my new porcelain crown, I got an Astro Pop stuck to it. I had to work the sucker back and forth until it broke, 1 centimeter thick of hard candy, to get it off of my tooth. My crown (luckily, and amazingly) stayed on.

Now for your brand spankin new crown to come off, unless you've done something like i just described, I would most definately believe this is the dentists error, not yours. Possilbly the wrong cement, or even bad cement, not enough cement. Possibly the crown wasn't even made right to begin with. The doctor only knows! But I'd try to get him to replace the crown. Even if you only had to pay the lab fee's would be cheaper than putting out the whole cost yourself. Let us know what happens!

Old 03-27-2002, 06:37 PM   #4

sudzie HB User
Thumbs down

Hi
I waited a week and am calling off the search. Pardon me but that was pretty bad I did not find the crown and am taking your advice. I am going to call the dentist and tell him that I think it was faulty crown, sorry that I swallowed it but..
I love the story of the astro pop and I am going to tell him that one too.
I feel bad to stop looking but I really think that I should have passed it by now. I don't think that I missed it. I used your advice about the strainer Debra, thankyou.
I will let you know what the dentist says.

------------------
Sudzie

no profanity please, not even when it comes up as asteriks.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 03-27-2002).]

Old 03-29-2002, 06:29 PM   #5

sudzie HB User
Hi everyone
whoops I guess my joke wasn't funny, sorry moderator.
Good news I went to the dentist today, he asked what happened and when I told him the story he told his assistant to pull my mold and order me a new one. he then put on a temporary crown and said the new one would me here in about 2 weeks. He never mentioned one word about paying anything for it and neither did I.
I am happy tonight!

------------------
Sudzie

Old 03-29-2002, 07:17 PM   #6
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Smile

I'm so happy for you, Sudzie; that your dentist is going to have a new crown made! I thought it wasn't right, to have a crown come off in just a month...but I had thought from your post that your dentist had told you to try and "retrieve" the crown; or else pay for a new one. I'm glad your dentis was nice about it: it was the right thing for him to do...Debbie

Closed Thread