It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
Question Stainless steel crown for a 7 yo??? pls help

Now I received a treatment plan from our dentist. I was under the imnpression that they were going to fill her tooth. Now they are saying a stainless steel crown and therpeutic pulpotomy. I am little irritated for one since this was never discussed with me.

What can someone tell me about this?

I can say for certainty, that if she has to wear any kind of temp crown, and than has to go back, you can forget it. There is no way she will be careful about eating on that side of her mouth, or brushing, or flossing, with a temp crown.. she is 7 years old.....plus she will be miserable if her mouth hurts.

Is this all going to be done in one visit? If so, how long will this take? She is getting Nitrous since she has alot of anxiety over needles, doctors, dentists, etc...

I am wondering if this is the case, maybe I should just tell them to pull it and put a spacer in, all this over a baby tooth which is going to fall out anyways.

I really need some advice. I am think of possibly taking her for a second opinion.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Dendeb HB User
Re: Stainless steel crown for a 7 yo??? pls help

Sorry I can't remember many specifics,
but my daughter (now 19) had a silver crown placed on a baby tooth when she was about 4 years old. Years later the dentist removed it. Probably at time when developmentally *that* tooth should be coming out along with the rest of the baby teeth.
I am guessing here, but I remember where it was in her mouth and I am thinking maybe it was to help her with chewing...or simply a spacer.
Sorry I don't remember more...

~Debbie~

Last edited by Dendeb; 10-26-2005 at 10:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
(female)

JDgirl HB User

My dare devil of a 4 yr old son has 3 stainless steel crowns becaues he lands on his face with everything he does. I thought too just pull the pieces as they are baby teeth and they will fallout anyways. But the DDs convinced me it would deter his future formation of adult teeth. That is if he ever gets there! He thinks he looks likle a cyborg now and is cool with it. Boys!

Old 10-26-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
(female)

Thanks...When doing the stainless steel crowns, are they silver? And does it only require one visit? And is their any pain afterwards?? This is for a molar.

Thanks!!!

Old 10-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Dendeb HB User

Found this and thought it would be of interest to you...

"Small primary teeth cavities can be repaired with fillings, because of the remaining supporting tooth structure. However, large cavities need to be fixed with crowns that strengthen a damaged tooth by covering and protecting it.

Crowns for primary teeth, unlike crowns for permanent teeth, can in most cases be positioned in only one appointment. They are relatively easy for children to care for and are much less expensive than adult crowns.

To ensure the entire procedure is comfortable for your child, the Dentist will make sure the tooth is thoroughly numb. Then your Dentist removes any decay and shapes the tooth. Following this, a crown is selected, trimmed and shaped, and then it is adjusted until it precisely fits the tooth. Your dentist then cements the crown in place.

After double-checking both the fit and the bite, your child will have a new stainless steel crown until the permanent tooth decides to replace the primary tooth."

Best,
~Debbie~

Old 10-26-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
(female)

Debbie,
Thanks so much, this sounds better than I thought. At least I can have them do this in one visit.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
(female)

JDgirl HB User

We had the choice of enamal or silver crowns. We don't have dental ins. so everything was paid for out of pocket, the crowns are silver. 2 molars and an eye tooth. He's my lil pimp. If he keeps up his insaniac behavior, he'll have no teeth!

Closed Thread