It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2002, 07:18 PM   #1

LibraryLynn HB User
Post Wisdom teeth extraction

I had two non-impacted wisdom teeth removed on Friday, May 10. Do not wait until you're 40 to do this! I've had some challenges this past week and a half, and I have a question. After getting an infection and taking Clindamyacin for a week, I now have a hard lump on my jaw. It's on the side of the extractions, and it's not terribly sore. It's just about the size of a hickory nut and hard. The oral surgeon is very nice and said not to worry unless it starts to hurt or grow. I was so swollen after surgery that I don't know how long the lump has been there. Should I worry? Should I bother the surgeon again? To compound this all, I managed to get a bad cold and cough with everything else. I have terrible TMJ, so I still am unable to get more than one finger between my teeth and am living on pancakes and anything else I can shove in between my teeth. Any advice? Is this just something I need to live with until it relaxes? Should I worry about the lump? I keep telling my students, get your wisdom teeth out while you're young!!! Learn from me!

Thanks for any help or support anyone can provide.

Library Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2002, 08:45 PM   #2

JudyB1963 HB User
Yes, call your oral surgeon and go in and have him examine your lump again. When I had four teeth extracted I got a very small lump, which turned out to be a bone fragment. It was only about the size of the head of a pin. In your case it could be swelling, but you really should not be swollen after 10 days. If the oral surgeon doesnt answer your questions go to someone else. Your oral surgeon should not be blaming "over 40" for these problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2002, 04:44 PM   #3

LibraryLynn HB User
Thank you for your advice. I called again today, and they told me to come in right away. I did, and he found a huge pocket of infection. He opened it and drained it. I have lots more antibiotics, so hopefully we're on the right track now. This has not been a good experience, so I appreciate the input of others. I never know if I'm not handling the pain or if it really shouldn't be this way. Thanks again.

Library Lynn

Closed Thread