It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2002, 09:03 AM   #1

usedtirewife HB User
Post pain and swelling after extraction

I need to know if this sounds right to you or if you have any advice for us:
first off let me start by saying that my husbands teeth are all rotten. He wants to eventually have them all pulled and get dentures we jsut can't afford it right now. My husband had 2 teeth extractions done this past Friday at 6:30pm. It was tooth 2 and 5 on the upper jaw. He had been having severe pain with them for weeks and had kept me up the previous 3 nights. It took till the next morning for the first one to clot. The second one (the one further back) took 24 hours to clot. Well, he is still having pain from the jaw where they were pulled. I am guessing due to the pressure needed to extract them? And he says that air hurts them and his front teeth that never hurt before. HE describes it to me as the air is entering the hole where the tooth was at and travelling through his gum to his front teeth causing pain. Well, we thought maybe it was a cavitiy he has on the one front tooth so we tried some Temparin. It hasn't helped in fact it has gotten worse. The roof of his mouth is now swollen. The gum around where the second tooth was is swollen. When he drinks or eats he is in pain. He isn't sleeping still which in return means I am sleeping. I called the doctor yesterday and asked about it all and the nurse was rude and said that he had a tooth pulled what did we expect immediate recovery. She also said that the doctor didn't leave any notes on the chart about it being a difficult extraction. They offerred to make him an appt to remove the front teeth now. For another $85.00 a piece. I don't know what to do. Any suggesstions?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2002, 12:21 PM   #2

JudyB1963 HB User
Call the oral surgeon (or dentist) who did the extractions. He might have a dry socket, but he will need an examination in order to determine that. When I had four teeth extracted my oral surgeon did follow ups at no charge. Tell the oral surgeon he is having a problem and ask if he will do a courtesy follow up.
Also, he needs to get the rest of the teeth out. Have you asked your oral surgeon if he will make a payment plan for you. If he will not do that find an oral surgeon who will. They can treat the pain and the infection but until they get rid of the SOURCE of the infection he will continue to have problems. DENTAL INFECTIONS ARE NOTHING TO FOOL AROUND WITH!!!! He has an infection in his mouth, do you realize how close that is to his brain. Please find someone who will make a payment plan and get the rest of those teeth out.

Old 05-15-2002, 12:26 PM   #3

JudyB1963 HB User
I reread your post. Call again and tell them that you think he has a dry socket. It sounds like they think the source of the pain is the other teeth that are in there. Still, they should check him for a dry socket. If they wont see him to check for a dry socket then get on the phone and find a different oral surgeon. Find one who will accept payments. You dont have to accept rude treatment from the oral surgeons office.

Old 05-22-2002, 01:57 PM   #4

usedtirewife HB User
UPDATE:
We went back to the dentist's ofice and they pulled a bone fragment out of the one tooth's socket. Then they prescribed antibiotics and a weak pain med for the infection. They said they didn't think it was an infection but just in case. Well, Now a week later my dh is able to eat again adn rink again. He is so much more pleasent to live with when he is not in pain. It must have been an infection b/c after 48 hours of the antibiotic and he was improving. We ahven't even had the pain med filled.
thank you for your help and support on this matter.
sincerely
usedtirewife

Old 05-22-2002, 06:40 PM   #5

JudyB1963 HB User
I am so happy to hear that your husband is feeling better!!! I'm glad that his oral surgeon finally got the message that something was wrong. Sometimes you just have to be persistant. I'm sure you husband will be back to normal soon. I'm sure he really appreciates all your concern and help. I have had so many dental procedures (most recent was gum "flap" surgery last Friday,) and I know that I am soooo crabby when I dont feel well. Thank goodness for wonderful caring spouses who take care of us and put up with our crabbiness.

Closed Thread