It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2002, 03:02 PM   #1
Inactive

Jenna22 HB User
Question Invisalign Braces?

Hi everyone!

Well i'm 22 years old and very scared to go to a dentist.My last visit was 2 years ago,i know long time.My upper teeth are crooked and i was considering the Invisalign Braces.I'm going this Thursday to see a doctor and deceide about if i can have those or the metal braces which are so ugly.ANyway please if anyone had these before,please resond?And is it better to have them behind the teeth ir front?And i don't have Dental Insurance,they told me i don't pay anything for the Initial Exam until i deceide for the Payment plan.Can someone tell me what the costs are or what do you pay if you do have insurance?

Thank you

Old 05-21-2002, 08:16 AM   #2

richdizz HB User
I am a 24 year old professional and I had no desire to get big metal braces. However, I found out that I was not a candidate for invisalign. Only your orthodontist can tell you if they will work for you. I ended up getting the new clear brackets by 3M. It is really hard to see them (I actually have to point them out to most people). Even better, they are only about $400 more than the metal brackets. Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by richdizz (edited 05-21-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2002, 10:42 AM   #3
Inactive

Christine-MA HB User
I was also interested in invisalign. What could cause you not to be a candidate? I'm 23 and also need braces, and definately wanted to look into clear rather than the metal. Someone told me that insurance doesn't cover the clear though. I assumed that I would be able to pay the difference between metal and clear, but someone said insurance covers NO clear, which sounds ridiculous.
I think I have metlife ins if anyone knows about the costs of braces (top and bottom), I'd really appreciate it. It's something I'm going to need to research real soon. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2002, 01:41 PM   #4

richdizz HB User
Go to the invialign web site (www.invisible.com). They have some info on who is a candidate. I had crowding on the bottom that invisalign could not initially treat. But from what they say 80% of adults can be treated with invisalign (I was just the 20%).

I too have Metlife Dental Insurance. Although my claim in still being processed, my plan covers 50% of orthodontic care (up to a $2000 lifetime max). I have not heard anything from Metlife indicating that clear braces or invisalign are not covered. If anything, you might have to pay the difference (which is not that much). I have actually heard of some ortho. that do not charge different costs for clear braces.

[This message has been edited by richdizz (edited 05-21-2002).]

Old 05-21-2002, 03:15 PM   #5
Inactive

Jenna22 HB User
Talking

So if i understand this correct no matter what kind of Insurance you have you pay out of your own pocket.Because they told me if i have the ortho Insurance or a payment plan i don't pay that much.So it means i would not pay the whole price.I know the Invisalign Braces are expensive,but i don't want to be embarassed with the metal braces,i work in retails and i have constantly contact with the customers,i don't want noone to see the metal ones.So i will go for an Initial Exam this Thursday and will see what kind of Payment plans they have and if i'm a candidate for the Invisalign.Can anyone tell me if the Invisalign improved thier crooked teeth and what is better,behind the teeth or front?

Old 05-23-2002, 06:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

4given1 HB User
Well, gotta put my 2 cents in here. I was 25 and a working professional when I got my metal braces. I actually MISS them! Yep, there is something about them that make you look younger, and in your case, that may be what you're trying to avoid. I, however, was flattered when people thought I was 18! Once I had them removed, my orthodontist molded me for a "bite guard", which is basically the same thing as the invisilign. (It served as a retainer, of sorts.) I'll tell you, I will NOT be seen in public with this thing in my mouth! True, you can not see it on my teeth, but it MAKES my teeth look HUGE! Just a thought!

Closed Thread