It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2002, 01:05 AM   #1

Liz N HB User
Question Rinsing with saltwater after wisdom teeth extractions (4)

Hi, I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed under general anaesthetic on Monday afternoon (it's now Wed night). I am still in a bit of pain and my medication is making me feel a bit nauseous, but other than that I'm not too bad. My question is about rinsing my mouth with salt water, how soon should I start and how much force can I use without fear of dislodging any blood clots? I have stitches in my bottom jaw (these were impacted) but not sure about the top as I can't open my mouth wide enough to see. Does having stitches stop dry sockets?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Liz

Old 05-22-2002, 06:47 AM   #2
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Talking

Hi, Liz. I had a top tooth pulled 8 days ago. My dentist stitched the hole up. I do think this can help to not get dry socket (I didn't get it). Yes; you should be fine, swishing your mouth with salt/water rinse now. My dentist told me to start the next day (rinsing with salt/water). Just be gentle about it...not vigourous! This will help dry the sockets...plus I had a problem for a while; excess saliva. I think the salt/water rinse helped that, also. Just use good ole' common sense in caring for your sockets...be gentle in all you do: try and keep your mouth/teeth as clean as is safe to do so (my dentist told me the salt/water rinse would help get rid of the bloody after taste, in my mouth: it did). Good luck, Liz. You'll make it! Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2002, 06:31 PM   #3

Liz N HB User
Thanks Debbie, I tried rinsing last night and it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, I was really gentle and my mouth felt (and tasted!) a lot better afterwards. I've got another question..after 8 days are you still on really soft foods or are you able to eat more solid stuff? I've been eating soup, mashed potato with gravy (the best thing so far!!!), scrambled eggs and cooked oats. How soon can I expect to eat something a bit more substantial (I'm really hungry!)

Old 05-22-2002, 09:19 PM   #4
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Smile

Hi, Liz. To be honest with you, I've been eating potato chips; Cheetos, etc...I just have to chew them on my other side> the tooth I had pulled was a large one; it takes up most my right side. Anyway; do gently gargle with warm salt/water rinse, several times a day: as often as you can. This will speed your recovery. It did me. You should be able to eat regular foods now. Just gently rinse your mouth out (with water) afterwards. I have been able to get food particles out of my socket, by gently swishing water around in my mouth; then spitting it out. Just chew slowly at first. Be very careful. If you feel pain, then stop. IF you feel pain, don't panic: you'll be okay. Just stop whatever is causing you pain. Try not to snack alot, at first. Confine your eating to meals: then rinse your mouth out afterwards...and keep your teeth as clean as you can. Gentle is the keyword: and don't be afraid to rinse with the salt/water. It'll help. Remember; slow and easy...Debbie

Old 05-22-2002, 10:35 PM   #5

Liz N HB User
Hmmm potato chips I would love to eat them right now but can't imagine doing so. There's nowhere I can safely chew with top and bottom on both sides being very sore. It's good to have an idea what it's like for other people though!

I'm feeling a lot better today than when I first posted about 24 hours ago, still in a bit of achey pain but not feeling sick anymore, I was taking strong codeine and paracetamol based painkillers before (which made me feel awful) but stopped and switched to regular paracetamol, not as effective painkilling-wise but good enough and not making me feel sick.

I'm now glad I got all four wisdoms done at once, although it's no fun, at least it's over with! The pain from infections I had in one of the impacted teeth was much worse than the pain I am having now.

It's a scary thing to do but to anyone who needs to have their wisdom teeth out I think sooner is definitely better, rather than later!!!

Liz

Old 05-23-2002, 08:29 PM   #6
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Hi again, Liz. Yes, you were smart to just get all your wisdom teeth pulled at one time. That's how my daughter did it a year ago. Only two of her wisdom teeth had started to grow roots; so it wasn't too bad for her. She had to really take it easy for a week...then after 2 weeks she was fine. I can't see why/how people can like get one pulled at a time (accept for financial reasons, maybe). I would HATE having to go through that 4 times! I never had wisdom teeth; so I got lucky about that one thing....Debbie

Closed Thread