It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2002, 10:07 AM   #1

antoni HB User
Post root canal therapy or leave tooth alone

I have an abscessed tooth from a crack(big bottom molar tooth) and the pain seems to be getting a worse a little bit day by day. It doesn't hurt when I chew on it. It's a pain that comes and goes.

Hearing about all the root canal horror stories, I am putting off the root canal till absolutely necessary. I was wondering other peoples experience on how long the tooth may last before it blows completely in excrutiating pain. I've been aware of it for about a year now. Dentists say it could stay like this for a long time others say one day I will wake up and the whole cheek will be swelled up so it';s best to get it taken care of right nowl

I was wondering if anyone else has had this and how long their tooth lasted with this on and off pain before something had to be done.

Old 05-22-2002, 10:54 AM   #2
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Hi, Antoni. Why are you putting off getting a root canal done? Did reading the posts here scare you too much? I would not wait too long: if you do, it'll only get worse, and maybe then a root canal won't be able to fix the problem. A crack is a serious problem, depending on what type of crack it is. A root canal might not fix the problem...but it might (hopefully). You want to try and save the tooth. If the root canal fails, then you will at least have tried to save it. Don't worry about getting a root canal...its not a big deal. I've had many root canals done, and they haven't killed me. Get that tooth taken care of; the problem won't go away by itself. Good luck to you...Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2002, 02:50 PM   #3

Subie HB User
Hi Antoni,
Yes, you need to get this tooth fixed. You certainly don't want to mess with an infection...it could turn into something serious. To answer your question...you Dentist is correct. The tooth could be fine for another few years or one day it will just blow up on you and the pain will be BAD. I've had my share of root canals and when the Dentist says this tooth is a canidate for a root canal...I just go and get it done because I know I'm playing with fire at that point. Good luck and get back to your dentist!

Old 05-24-2002, 09:09 AM   #4

antoni HB User
Thank you Subie ane Debbie,

What scares me too is since it is the first big bottom molar tooth a crown will need to be put on and I here that is a horror show too- the shaving and fitting of the temporary crown? How's your experiences been? What does a molar tooth crown

Old 05-24-2002, 12:03 PM   #5
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Talking

Hi there, Antoni. Please do not worry about needing a crown for that molar, after the root canal. ALL my teeth in back are crowned. That hasn't caused me problems at all. Sometimes a tooth will feel sensitive for a time, after a sucessful root canal and crown; but it'll get better. I just worry that if you keep waiting to get the root canal done, the tooth will have a lesser chance of getting better. I'm sure it'll be fine. A crown is NOTHING to worry about; believe me. Twelve years ago my older brother had all his teeth crowned: he was born with several baby teeth; no permanent tooth under the baby tooth). So he got 4 bridges made; plus ALL of his teeth crowned. he has not had any problems with his teeth. His gums are healthy; his crowns don't bother him a bit. So call; make that appointment; get your tooth fixed. Let us know how it goes for you, Okay? Debbie

Old 05-27-2002, 12:33 PM   #6

antoni HB User
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the tip on the crown. That's interesting,my sister had a baby tooth replaced with a bridge like your brother.

It's good to know crowns aren't so bad. I found a good dentist that I trust and he needs a full set of panaoramic X-rays. I am trying to follow the 3 year rule of full X-rays because I've had quite a few sets of the bitewings over the past year. My original problem was multiple fillings which caused the bite to be off and he replaced one of the fillings but I may have more of them done to improve bite.

I guess I am really sensitive because after having work done on so many teeth I got like a pulling sensation below my ear but the dentists tell me it's not TMJD related symptom as the jaw is OK. Have you ever experienced this? I have no idea if the pulling below the ear is from a muscle or the TMJ bone being irritated?! That's why I am a bit apprehensive about the crown due to having too much dental work done already.

BUt I know alot of people seem to have multiple crowns, bridges and fillings in their mouth and it doesn't bother them. I think with me, I just had a lemon dentist do the original 9 fillings wrong and that caused all the trouble. BUt with a good dentist I think things should go OK. I'll post how things go.

[This message has been edited by antoni (edited 05-27-2002).]

Closed Thread