It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2002, 11:18 AM   #1

Richard15627 HB User
Post Is my dentist crowning too many molars

I am 53 and until last week had my wisdom teeth. My wife is 47 and we are in good health. It seems to us that the dentist we have been seeing for the past 10 years has found it neccessary to crown a lot of our molars due to fractures.

A 6 weeeks ago he crowned my 14 and 15 at the same time. For over a week, they were very sensitive. I still get extreme pain in that area if I have anything sweet. About 10 days ago, my #1 fractured and fell out during sleep, except for a point.

Prior to crowning 15, my dentist told me that he was concerned that the filling that needed replacement was so near the root that it needed to be capped.

I just returned from the dentist. He wants me to see an endodonist to test the nerve of #15, he scheduled an appointment to extract what is left of th #1 wisdom tooth, AND to cap the #2 molar, which is now fractured.

When he was probing, he found a sensitive spot in #14 (not 15).

To give the doc a break, I had a lot of sensitivity in the area of #1 and #2 before the work on #14 an #15.

I am wondering if I should be looking into another dentist. Specifically, I wonder if the problems with 1 and 2 are due to a maladjustment of my occlusion when 14 and 15 were capped at the same time or if it is just something that happens to old molars with old fillings.

I am sorry this is so poorly related.
Thanks.

Old 05-29-2002, 11:45 AM   #2

antoni HB User
Hi,

I don't know if this will be of much help but all I can say is in general dentists when doing anything to change the occlusion usually do one tooth at a time so that the occlusion doesn't get messed up.

I had like 9 fillings done on my rear molars in two sittings and boy what a nightmare. My occlussion has been off ever since. All my teeth are sensitive now and I don't know which ones are off?!And I have been told to just leave things alone because doing more may make things worse.

Since my teeth never fit together right ever since, I researched having a crown(s) done. And from what I've researched it's not good to get for example a top molar and the bottom one below it done at the same time because then the dentist has no reference point. And if they do one tooth at a time it's easier to see that your bite doesn't get screwed up because they know which tooth is causing the trouble and can adjust it right away. With two teeth that don't fit right they can screw up all the others, that's from my personal experience. Now, I suffer from weird jaw muscle pulling on and off and I don't want to have all 8 of my molars redone again until absolutely necessary.

But a crown is alot for one tooth to handle much less several.

I saw like 4 dentists after the bad dentist did the problem fillings and they all told me it was a mistake to have multiple work done on the teeth at once. SO now if I get anything done, I always get second if not third opinions to be on the safe side.

Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2002, 11:57 AM   #3

Richard15627 HB User
Thanks. I just made the appointment with the endodontist for nerve testing to determine if I need a root canal. Although the dentist said to test 15, when I explained that 14 was sensitive, the woman at the endo's office said they would test both.

Closed Thread