It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2002, 11:08 AM   #1

lalala HB User
Talking woo hoo!

i got my dentures this morning!!! wow i sound a little too excited but i am allready starting to get used to them...well sorta. i havent tried to eat anything yet, just drink. It was a really annoying procedure...i mean they first had to like stick a lotta needles in to numb my mouth, and then afterwards....it hurts pretty bad!! but now i am pretty excited becasue i have teeth!! woo hoo! and i am pretty scared because i have to go to school tommorow...who knows if i will be able to talk by then! oh boy, and the bottom one is quite loose- i hope i dont like lose it while talking. well i just really felt like sharing, bye!

Old 05-28-2002, 07:48 PM   #2

kittykat46 HB User
GREAT AND AS WE CORRESPONDED BEFORE I AM JUST NOW STARTING THE WHOLE PROCEDURE.

WHAT DO THEY FEEL LIKE?
HOW LONG HAS IT TAKEN FOR YOU TO ADJUST?
CAN YOU EAT ANYTHING?
DOES EVERYONE NOTICE YOU HAVE DENTURES?
DO THEY LOOK LIKE THE "REAL" THING?

AS I REMEMBER, YOU A VERY YOUNG, SO WILL PROBABLY ADJUST FAST......KEEP US POSTED...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2002, 07:38 AM   #3
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Smile

Hi there Lalala. I just wanted to say, "you go, girl!". There will be times when it'll be hard...you'll probably be sore at times, adjusting to your dentures. But you have youth on your side...you should heal fast. I have an older brother that had to get dentures at a young age. He is now in his late 60's, and he's never complained about his teeth. I actually think that maybe getting dentures at a young age is better; as your body becomes adjusted to having them, from early on...this is just a theory: I'm no expert on it! I have another good friend; she got dentures a few years ago. She always comments on why I live with tooth pain all the time...she said it felt wonderful, to finally get rid of those painful teeth. So, I feel sure you'll also do fine. People are afraid of dentures: but I think they can be a God send to people who really need to have them. Good luck to you...I wish you all the best, Lalala....Debbie

Old 05-30-2002, 02:56 PM   #4

lalala HB User
Talking

Hey guys, thanks for the responses and support! OK, well to answer your questions kittykat46...

They were reaaaallly akward the first day, falling out and stuff, but now that is under control and they just feel...big i suppose. There is a little pressure right now, because my gums are swelling, so they are kinda irritating right now- but its not painful as much as just weird.

I havent completely adjusted yet.. but i am so glad that i have them that im sure it wont take too long to adjust

About eating...the first day it was all liquids which left me hungry but now i am an expert at drinking! Second day i was eating french fries, macaroni, rice, some cheescake..basically soft things, and today, the third day, i had potato chips actually! The chewing is not really as bad as just getting it in my mouth, like when i had a PB sandwitch, i just pulled peices off and stuck them in my mouth, but i couldnt bite off the sandwich yet. Yet...

For me, most of my friends at school notcied changes in my teeth, but they didnt really know what happened. Many said, "Oh wow, you got your braces off!" Which is funny because i havent had braces for months! Oh well. But a lotta people noticed, but no one suspected dentures or anything. Someone asked if i got my teeth capped. One reason my friends noticed immediately was probably because i always was talking about how bad my teeth were, most likely drawing atention. But now it is positive attention im getting!

Finally, yes, they look like real teeth. My whole family was saying how NATURAL my dentures look. The people who make them make sure that they get a good color, and make sure they will fit well, so they don't stick out too far or anything.

All in all, i am soooooo excited about my teeth that any initial pain or anything is totally worth it! The pain after the extractions wasnt so bad...i only took a tylenol or two. I think the worst part is the emotional attatchment...and it is scary taking them out. But i must say, i have been smiling so much now! Mouth open, wow! If you have doubts or anything..here is something someone told me. I told one of my best friends about how i was getting dentures, and how i was nervous. But she said how amazing it is that i have a chance to change something about myself that i dislike. Worrying about teeth is just no fun, and so having these new teeth is really nice. I hope that your whole procedure goes well..mine is going well so far. (sorry this is so long!) but if you have any more questions or anything, im here! Good luck!

Old 05-30-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Cool

Hi again, Lalala! I just wanted to say again, how much I admire your spirit. This is the best way to approach any obsticle we face in life. You put many of us "oldsters" to shame! You're on your way to a new life, Lalala; a life where you can smile with confidence...where you don't have to worry what you're going to do about this or that tooth.
Your friend is wise beyond her years: it IS fantastic that you were able to change for the better, something that had really been getting you down. Again, I want to wish you a full and complete recovery...and never loose that winning attitude you've got, Lalala. Debbie

Old 05-31-2002, 12:36 PM   #6

kittykat46 HB User
lala - sorry i am not spelling your post name correctly, as i forget how it is spelled by the time i hit reply - i am really getting old -

just wanted to say thanks for the reply.

had my first appt this morning, and appt with oral surgeon next week.

glad you are doing good,,,and i am sure for you it will only get better.

Old 05-31-2002, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

4given1 HB User
Hiya Lala! I just wanted to say that I'm so happy for you that you're so excited! Good luck with your new teeth!

Love,

Daisy

[This message has been edited by GloomyDaisy (edited 05-31-2002).]

Old 06-01-2002, 07:43 PM   #8
Inactive

eahsindians HB User
LaLaLa, hello you sound so happy. This is the first time I have been in this message board so please bear with me. I use to make dentures and yes they can be made so no one can tell the difference. If you do not mind me asking what happened to you to have to have dentures at such a young age. You will have an adjustment period but do not let it get you down. As for eating start soft and slowly start eating more solid foods. I call it baby stepping your way to solid foods. At least you can eat more solid food than I can. I have TMJ (joints of the jaw)and having my 18th surgery this year. If you can have this wonderful out look about your dentures then I can do the same for my joints to be replaced. Make sure you do your follow up appointments with your dentist and when you need adjustments too. It sounds like the ADA could use you as a spoke person for dentures. God bless you and keep smiling.

Edna http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif)

Old 06-01-2002, 09:34 PM   #9

lalala HB User
hey, thanks for the encouragement guys!!! The eating is getting better, though i have some sore spots. Good luck on your next appointments kittykat46!

eahsindians- the basic reason that i had to get dentures at age 15 is because more than 20 of my adult teeth never formed, so i had a lotta small, scraggly baby teeth for a while, but eventually baby teeth just get loose and fall out. Before i went in to get my dentures, i only had like 17 teeth in my mouth, and they said it was pretty amazing that i had that many because some were really loose! Chewing was becoming impossible, and it was only time before i was down to the six adult teeth i had. Sooooo i got dentures, which so far is going well.

Some wonder if i have some form of ectodermal dysplasia, in which an affected person has many teeth missing, toenail and fingernail abnormalities, sparse hair, and no or little sweat glands. I have many missing teeth, and i have a few finger and toenails that just fell off and never grew back for no apparent reason, and i didnt have hair until i was four. But i sweat totally normally, so the idea of me having is less likely. The only serious, fatal part of the defect is the missing sweatglands, so im good!

I'm sorry to hear about your TMJ! 18 surgeries! Wow.

What do you mean by I could be a spokesperson for the ADA for dentures? Hehehe!

Ok everyone, thanks again for the posts..*tearing up with joy* hehehe, just kidding, ok bye!

Closed Thread