It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2002, 02:42 PM   #1

antoni HB User
Post PRoblem with white fillings from air abrasion

Hi, I've posted before about the 9 multiple fillings I had put in my mouth after having just one silver filling my whole life(now in mid 30's).

I had one of the problem fillings refilled twice in the last year(rear upper molar, bite problem), yet things still don't feel right. The most recent one I had done like a week and a half ago but there wasn't much improvement. The dentist said give it time but I don['t know.

I was wondering if this is the rule with fillings that the mouth never does feel right. I don't know they say mercury fillings make you sick, but since I've had these multiple fillings my mouth always feels funny and the teeth are more sensitive than they ever had been before the fillings. My overall health has not been as good either. I also get like weird facial twitching which I never had before. I know one tooth has an abscess and I have a root canal pending. But I wonder if anyone else has had problems with having so many fillings(white in their mouth). THe dentists say nothing is wrong but that the air abrasion cutting machine that cut my teeth instead of the drill is not that precise. So that could be the problem.

I don't want to have the other 8 fillings done over again as this would be too much for my mouth. Will I ever get use to this????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2002, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

I'm not sure about your case, but with my 8 white fillings that I've had for about 8-1/2 years, they have been fine. At first there was some sensitivity to foods, but I just waited for a long period of time, and those sensations just went away. It's been so long ago that I can't remember if it was cold or hot foods or both that gave me some problems. I've heard other people also say that you get used to it over time, and it should be fine.

I suppose that you can rely on your dentist for the best answer. It sounds consistent to what I've heard and experienced. You could check the internet for more information about white fillings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2002, 07:30 AM   #3

antoni HB User
Thank you for responding.

I take it one at a time and hopefully the day will come and I won't even know they are there.

With my enamel decay or early cavities, the dentist was very aggressive but I should have went with the option to keep them "under watch" rather than have all the fillings done at once.

THey say the earlier they repair the decay, the longer the fillings last so I hope that is true. I am hoping on at least 10 years but that's encouraging 8 years is a long time!!!

Old 06-03-2002, 10:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
I didn't have problems with how the fillings felt. I had problems with the teeth not lasting with the white fillings. I FOOLISHLY let a dentist talk me into replacing 9 mercury fillings with white ones because of "toxins" when I was in my 20's. I'm in my 40's now and each tooth that I had a white filling in is no longer in my head. Six of them pulled. The three remaining mercury ones are still there.

Old 06-03-2002, 12:20 PM   #5

antoni HB User
Lindarella, that's the pitts losing 6 teeth like that.

These white fillings are quackery as far as I am concerned. THe dentist can't see what he is doing and builds them "too high" and screw up the bite permanently(as in my case). Every thing the dentist told me about getting them put in was a lie. I feel that a horrible mistake was made and I have opened myself up for alot of unnecessary dental problems already and down the road. Nowadays alot of dentists are no better than used car salesmen trying to sell you whatever for the money.

Also, the dentists know every 5 years they need to be replaced.

The dentist I am seeing now although he does the white fillings has kept his own mercury fillings in from like 20 years ago-- that's saying alot.

People that have a mouthful of mercury fillings have no idea what I am talking about.

Old 06-03-2002, 09:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

There are a tremendous different types of white fillings and cementing agents. I learned about that after speaking with my naturopath and dentist. You have to find a competent dentist - one that does this all the time - one that has good experience with it. It's also unfortunate if one has a dentist that may do too much work, when it may not be necessary.

It's necessary to do some research on this, before deciding. Things are much different now, than what they were, from what I've read. Advertisements claim that the white fillings are much better than what they used to be. I don't know for sure, but that's what they say....

Sorry to hear of anyone's troubles with this. My dentist and I decided that I would have the change-over for cosmetic reasons. I didn't want him to get caught up in the controversy. It was my decision alone to have the mercury removed from my mouth. It wasn't until years later, when I continually got better, that I realized further how fortunate I was to have these toxins removed.

To each his own, but I won't have mercury in my mouth at any cost. I used to be so sick that it hurt to walk. Now I run for miles.

I can't understand how someone can mess up with white fillings so bad. All my dentist did, was remove the poisonous dental amalgam (also he took precautions with a dental dam etc.) and then he filled the newly-made cavity with a temporary plug. We waited until the shop made the white filling piece from the mold, and he cemented it in. It has the same shape as my original tooth. There's no extra filling, gaps, cracks, or anything bad. These fit just like a glove. I can barely see that they are there - only with a flashlight (or as the British say - with a torch).

To sum it up: Find a good dentist - one that will listen to you - one that communicates very well - one that is technically knowledgeable.

Old 06-04-2002, 08:00 AM   #7

antoni HB User
Rhody,

THat was the thing, the dentist did not take a mold -- he just shaved the teeth down with this new air abrasion technology which alot of dentists don't recommend. That's why the surface of my teeth felt so different from my natural teeth. It looks like you had a really good dentist that did a great job.

I know I didn't do my homework in researching for a good dentist and I am paying for it now.. It doesn't hurt to get a second and 3rd opinion.

Closed Thread