It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2002, 09:55 PM   #1

Leslie27 HB User
Unhappy To Have Dentures Or Full MOuth Restoration? Please Help

A few weeks ago, I came down with a massive toothache. After many years of not going to the Dentist, for Extreme Anxiety and Fear, I broke down and went. My option was to have my full top teeth extracted, and 3 on the bottom extracted. OR, Have a full mouth Restoration.(20,000) By all means I am not rich, so i opted for the Dentures.

The quote i got was outstanding (9000.00) for just a top plate. No way I could afford that.

I have been suffering with a very bad toothache that has now reached in to my Jaw.

I went to a Oral Surgeon today, who in turn told me, Having a top plate is NOT an option as in 2 years the bone would melt away, leaving me with nothing to hold the Denture in, so He refered me to yet another Dentist.

I dont know what to believe anymore. Can this happen? My teeth are so far gone, i dont see any other option that having at least a Partial in my front.

And while this is happening, I still sit, In Pain. Thank **** for Pain Pills (Norco) or i would have probally already torn my head off.

Maybe someone can lead me in the right direction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2002, 10:03 PM   #2

ah683 HB User
Hi Leslie,

[Requesting personal details is not allowed here. Thanks...mod3]

Karen

------------------

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 05-16-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2002, 10:07 PM   #3

Leslie27 HB User
[Posting or requesting personal details such as e-mail addresses is not allowed.Thanks...mod3]

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 05-16-2002).]

Old 05-16-2002, 07:29 AM   #4

JudyB1963 HB User
Leslie

I know there are people on this site who will tell you to take COQ10 or herbs or other things. They will tell you that your mouth will become totally healthy. Just be aware of the fact that if your mouth is not healthy your teeth will fall out, and you will have wasted your money on the restorations. I am not trying to be nasty. Before you commit a large sum of money to restorations, you should make sure the dentist thinks that your mouth is healthy enough that you will be keeping your teeth for many years.

Old 05-21-2002, 01:53 AM   #5

fallllea HB User
Leslie-I would get several more opinions.Apartial for the upper would be good.I don't think your bone would melt away,mine didn't after9 yrs.The 9000 price sounds steep .Check around for some implant prices.Dentures are the pits and if you can try to avoid.I just had 11 implants done after 9 yrs of upper dentures and nothing on bottom.my full mouth is around 25000 financed but it should be a lot cheaper if you have the implants done at the same time the teeth are pulled.Get many opinions and call everywhere for prices.You can not let this go on with the pain meds for long or you and your mouth will be in big trouble.I know because mine went on for several years and I almost died from osteomylitis(bone infection) Best wishes Randy

Old 05-21-2002, 07:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
JudyB1963 does have a point the plate would be my choice. And I must commend you Leslie27 for looking futher instead of just excepting the nothing could possibly help.....I doubt there is a cure, but there might be something that may help you at least, and not really cost you alot to try.
I've applied this to receding gums.
Start drinking water gradually.

Decrease any caffine Gradually....I started adding decafe to my caffine.

Rinse your mouth with a comfortable temp.water and salt mixture 1/2 cup till its empty. 3x an day....(I kept a vile of salt in my purse too.)

After you have reached the point of drinking 8to10 cups of water a day and very importantly...getting rid of that 8to10cups in urine output.

Than Get some good sea/salt with the minerals in it. Buy some Kelp (for iodine), Magnesium,Calcium at least 1200mg daily of this(good calcium should not say carbonate, and just make sure you get some Potassium daily.(do not overdo potassium!)

These are all reasonable price wise, the most expensive is the calcium.

With the sea/salt, start using it on the foods liberally and taking 1/4tea. am and 1/4 tea. pm.

A liquid does not count as water, only water counts as water! Caffine depletes 10oz of water, alcohol does too. Signed, I can relate to mouth pain.

Old 05-21-2002, 08:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Some explanation on how I came up with this theory. In my manuel on the studies of mineral salt and water, it was found that the bones carry the highest content of salt in the body.

The contributeing factor in bone loss is when the body is dehydrated it leaches salt from our bones to keep a balance of water.

Also if you take in 1to2cups 1/2 hour before your meal. You'll get alot more nutrition out of your foods.

Water before the meal does something else too. It's a way for the body to tell if it's Thirsty or Hungary!

I don't have near the receding gum problem I used to have, and I was told there was nothing I could do about it.

If this doesn't help your problem with your mouth bones, at least your doing something great with the rest of your body to possibly prevent other dehydration disease symtoms.

I wish you every bit as much luck as I've had using this type program, it is good for what ails you in most, but not all things.

Remember, it took you How Long(?),for the situation to get to this point,
It'll take some doing on your part to correct it. Give it a good year for improvement.This is my 2nd year.

If you have High Blood Pressure,and swelling..... the increased water and a little salt on foods to start with, and the decreased caffine and alcohol should bring this down. Diana

Old 05-21-2002, 08:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JudyB1963 does have a point the plate would be my choice. And I must commend you Leslie27 for looking futher instead of just excepting the nothing could possibly help.....I doubt there is a cure, but there might be something that may help you at least, and not really cost you alot to try.
I've applied this to receding gums.
Start drinking water gradually.

Decrease any caffine Gradually....I started adding decafe to my caffine.

Rinse your mouth with a comfortable temp.water and salt mixture 1/2 cup till its empty. 3x an day....(I kept a vile of salt in my purse too.)

After you have reached the point of drinking 8to10 cups of water a day and very importantly...getting rid of that 8to10cups in urine output.

Than Get some good sea/salt with the minerals in it. Buy some Kelp (for iodine), Magnesium,Calcium at least 1200mg daily of this(good calcium should not say carbonate, and just make sure you get some Potassium daily.(do not overdo potassium!)

These are all reasonable price wise, the most expensive is the calcium.

With the sea/salt, start using it on the foods liberally and taking 1/4tea. am and 1/4 tea. pm.

A liquid does not count as water, only water counts as water! Caffine depletes 10oz of water, alcohol does too. Signed, I can relate to mouth pain.

Old 05-21-2002, 11:39 AM   #9

Leslie27 HB User
I am so frustrated, its just been one heck of a few weeks. I have gone to several Dentists and one tells me, I cant have the Dentures because my bone will melt away in less than 2 years, and to have full mouth Restoration. I have another telling me the other is full of BS and to have the Dentures because my Teeth are to bad for Restorations.

I have another, who gives me quacky advice only to find out its his way of sending me on my way because he didn't want to take my case on.

Now i am on the hunt again, for a Oral Surgeon, to get them pulled. I can no longer wait. I am tired of being told one thing, meaning exactly the opposite, and then forking out 300 bucks for nothing.

I just dont know what to do except do what i feel comfortable with. and that is, Having them pulled! No Dentist can be honest with me. I dont have the money to keep spending for Consultations anymore. 175 here, 90 here 80 here, all not covered by my Insurance.

I guess, im just tired. Feel lied to, and feel like i have become a burden for any Dentist to help me.

Old 05-30-2002, 07:04 PM   #10

ohsosad HB User
I know what you are going through because I am going through almost the exact thing myself. I am 20 years old and am sick of hearing all the bs. I'm not sure of why the need for all the hassle, I think they only want our money. I am hoping to find a dentist who doesnt just care about himself and care about, me, his patient.I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted.

Old 06-03-2002, 03:16 PM   #11

Leslie27 HB User
Well i am still struggling for a Dental appointment. As i sit here in pain, wondering will it ever end. I went to another Dentist a Prostodontits (sp) and she was suppose to get my x-rays and Impressions from another dentist, and they never came. Mind you i already had the appointment, sat in her chair and paid the 75 bucks, and i Got Nothing. No consult, no plan of action, and NO phonecall back saying, *Hey, we got your Xrays*, Instead i got, *Im sorry, we dont have any record of you* Yup, they took my money and that was it.

Had another tooth break off few days ago, which in turn is bringing me some massive pain, and NOT ONE DENTIST will touch me. I dont get it, I have good insurance. Im ready to have this done. But noone wants to deal with me, I dont know what to do anymore.

Sit in pain, cry, and cry all day, and just deal with it, because im so sick of going through this anymore!

Old 06-04-2002, 02:17 PM   #12

Everquest HB User
Leslie,

I am having sort of the same issues that you are having. I have stage 4 periodontal disease. My teeth are fine (other than "loose" teeth due to the gum disease).. no decay, and white, however, I have a genetic form of periodontis and there is nothing to be done to stop me from losing my teeth at the tender age of 32.

I think the quote you got for the upper denture is VERY high. My dentist has proposed a full upper denture and fixed lower for 17,000. He wanted me to get a fixed lower because he says people have problems with lower dentures (clicking while speaking, moving around, and sometimes jsut flat out falling out). When I say fixed denture, I mean having 4-5 implants, and then having a fixed denture supported by those implants. This way the denture is never removed, it is a permament fixture. Most of that 17k figure is due to the implant and surgery cost, not the upper denture. I think that part was only a couple of thousand.

17,000 sounded astronomical to me! I will gladly pay it to have a pretty smile again, and to not have to go through the pain of periodontis.

Now this is what I really wanted to share with you. My husband's grandmother heard what was happening to me and gave me a suggestion I had not even thought of. She told me to find a dental college and ask if they did implants and dentures. Well guess what. The university about an hour from my house DOES do dentures , implants and reconstructive work. They told me it will cost me HALF (yes, HALF) of what it normally costs.

I go on the 29th of July for my screening. I will be asking to see examples of their work as well. I have many questions for them regarding the quality of care I would receive there. If they can convince me that they will do a better job than my current dentist and surgeon for HALF the price, I'll be going to them.

You might want to look into such a possibility.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Everquest (edited 06-04-2002).]

Closed Thread