It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2002, 03:26 PM   #1

deja vu HB User
Question Gum area around back molar bleeds when brushing

Hi all. I have had these before in the past, and they would usually heal up after a few days. This one is lasting longer, maybe going on close to 2 weeks. The gum area around my back molar bleeds when I brush my teeth. It is painful, but doesn't bother me unless I am just brushing. No pain now. Not much when I eat. In fact I brush the area pretty hard thinking this might help.

I am just concerned that it hasn't healed up yet. It doesn't look real red, and it hasn't gotten worse. Could this be tooth abcess? Have you had one before? I am sure others have. Just want your opinion. Any meds I should put on it? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-05-2002, 05:37 PM   #2
(female)

bunny byron HB User
Are you flossing too? I can tell you that when I become lax in flossing it is nearly guaranteed that I will have gum bleeding. A few days of diligent and careful flossing (and gentle but thorough brushing, of course) usually clears up the problem. You may also have a tiny particle of food caught in the gumline. For this, a toothpick comes in handy.
And finally, rinse with warm salt water.
Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2002, 11:07 AM   #3

deja vu HB User
Thanks bunny. I must be the lazy type. Flossing is not my thing like I don't have the patience. I know it's a very good practice to get into. Yes I have thought a particle of food could be in there. I guiess brushing fairly hard is bad too. I am hoping the bristles may help clean around the gum, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Like I said, It hasn't gotten worse, not to say it can't, but I will give it a while longer to clear up on it's own. Maybe I will try some floss. Thanks. KB

Old 06-06-2002, 02:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

4given1 HB User
Yep, I was gonna say the same thing. My gums used to bleed like you would NOT believe. I thought something was seriously wrong. I FINALLY (after what...5 years???) made a dentist appointment and was told that flossing would alleviate the bleeding gums. It did! I was just like you...too lazy to worry about it. Once I got in a routine, though, it's like second nature. I actually feel "gross" if I don't floss!

Old 06-06-2002, 03:43 PM   #5

deja vu HB User
Thanks GloomyDaisy. That's a greay habit to be into. And like bunny said, flossing should help. I went to the store today and bought some floss. I should have bought the kind on the stick you know, already to use. You just insert this tool with floss already on it and it must be so much easier to use than holding the two ends of floss between your fingers. It's very hard for me and my fingers to get between the last two molars. I need practice. KB

Old 06-06-2002, 07:15 PM   #6

vw1 HB User
Here's my recipe for healthy gums: Brush and floss twice a day and use an Oral B rotary dipped in peroxide with a tarter control toothpaste. Do it enough and it becomes a habit.Had my pockets measured 2 months ago, all 2's and 3's.

Old 06-07-2002, 04:27 PM   #7
(female)

bunny byron HB User
Talking

What's an Oral B rotary? Is it an electric toothbrush?

By the way, those floss pieces on the plastic sticks don't work at all for me, but I see discarded ones in parking lots all the time so someone must like them. I find a rather generous piece of waxed floss more user friendly.

Old 06-07-2002, 07:37 PM   #8

vw1 HB User
Oral B is an electric toothbrush. It has a round head that spins back and forth at a high speed.Much more efficient than a standard toothbrush.

Old 06-07-2002, 11:59 PM   #9

confuzed HB User

ive also had a problem out of bleeding,, probally for the last year or so,,Ive also had 3 or 4 teeth pulled in the last 1 1/2 to 2 yrs, I also am starting to get 3or 4 real bad cavaties.I'll probally have to end up getting something done like root canals or something.
Anyhow,,Ive mentioned this to my dentist about my bleeding and he seemed to think it was the tooth I had pulled. Then i'd bleed somewhere else in my mouth,, then had that one pulled etc. It's starting to actually scare me like maybe Ive got gum dise. or ginivitis or something. but my dentist hasnt ever said anything about anything like that, so I dont know what to think. I am a smoker,and I dont floss reg. like i should,, actually Ive never really flossed good, but I never had any probs w/ my teeth until the past few years ,[btw I'm 24]
so does anyone have any comments,like maybe what the signs of gum dis., or gingivitis are???

[ps,, the post above that said they had like 5 yrs of bleeding did make me feel a lil more comfortable,since I know i'm not alone]

Old 06-08-2002, 04:43 AM   #10

deja vu HB User
vw1 thanks for your methods. I do have a Braun Oral-B battery toothbrush. Bad things is, I don't use it everyday. Sometimes I just use my regualar toothbrush, but here lately I have been brushing 2-3 times a day.

confuzed, you are young to be loosing your teeth. I would be worried stiff. I know you must be worried yourself. sorry that's happening. Is there any history in your family of tooth disease? I don't know anything about gum disease or gingivitis. Surely your dentist must have told you what is going on. Hope everything works out for you. KB

[This message has been edited by deja vu (edited 06-08-2002).]

Old 06-08-2002, 10:23 AM   #11

confuzed HB User

Yeah ,,,about my age ,,thats my thoughts exactly,
to young to get false teeth!!
As far as my family, my Dad,grand parents [on his side]
all have false teeth, but my grandparents got theirs when they were old on age,like 60.But as far as I know theres no history in my family.

As far as my dentist,, it's a long story! I woke up 1 day and had a decaying tooth that was KILLING ME! I called to see if I could get he could fit me in, and the secretary said 'SURE',, anyway I went their ,waited forever,etc. Got back there and he came and asked me what was going on etc, I said 'Pull IT ,pretty much' He said, yeah definetlly need an extraction,,, and right after i told him I had no insurance and that i needed as much done as he can per visit,,,He said ' well, let's see when we can get you an appointment' and tryed to charge me $58,, [for nothing] To make a long story short,, the nurse tried to push some loratabs on me for pain,,,but i didnt want all that,, I just wanted it pulled, and they were gonna make me come back in like a week,, So i ripped up the perscription and left,,
So I left that office ,and didnt ever go back,,and didnt pay the $58 dollars [Blame me?]

So I found an affordable dentist that specializes in extractions ,dentures etc. Went their walked,, paid $25 for xrays [that were good for a year,of my whole mouth] and paid 35$ for my tooth getting pulled and I was in an out in like an hour!!
But this guy was kinda like an *******,, No 'hey how's it going' or 'got any questions' Just in and out,,
So this is why I'm freaking out kinda,,,

Know what i mean,,and dentist are so expensive, i have no insurance with my JOB,,, i mean it's getting worse as time goes on,,

Old 06-08-2002, 02:39 PM   #12
(female)

bunny byron HB User
Confuzed, I'm not an expert, but I believe gum bleeding is one of the early signs of gum disease. That doesn't mean that you have gum disease. But it could mean that you are headed that way. I know ALL about having no dental insurance. It's a difficult habit to get in to, but you must start flossing every day. Dental costs are through the roof! I can't believe the deal you got on having your one tooth extracted -- that's unheard of, at least in my neck of the woods! Floss to save your teeth and gums, floss to save money that I'm sure you could use to do something fun with! Whatever motivates you to do it..

Closed Thread