It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2002, 11:27 PM   #1

Araminta HB User
Post Scared about IV sedation...

...is it so bad? My wisdom teeth are scheduled to be extracted at 9 AM Monday morning. I am really anxious, so I'm worried about my elevated heartrate and bloodpressure, and I am also worried about the IV needle hurting and waking up out of the sleep.

Can anyone offer any experiences? I'm so scared.

Old 06-02-2002, 05:50 AM   #2

hamilton67 HB User
Personally I think that you are really lucky to get IV sedation. I had that a few years ago when they pulled one of my teeth and I thought it was great! The needle didn't
hurt and within a few seconds I was sound asleep. When I woke up it was completely over and I never felt or knew a thing. Don't worry, they keep a good eye on you to see if you are having any reaction to the IV. I think it is the most human way to go if you are having teeth extracted. Let us know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2002, 12:44 PM   #3
Inactive

Aster HB User
Boy, are you lucky they're doing that! I wish they'd do it for cleanings and fillings. LOL
You won't know a thing & you won't wake up until they want you to. Aster

Old 06-02-2002, 03:24 PM   #4
(female)

bunny byron HB User
When I had the IV there was NO pain whatsoever. I fell asleep in a chair and woke up in what seemed like 2 seconds later in a recovery room. I don't even recall being helped to walk into the recovery room. but I will tell you that I woke up sobbing, which I understand is quite common. so if you do that, don't worry, you're not a freak! My husband also tells me (and I swear I have NO recollection of THIS) that I was quite beligerent to a nurse whom I spotted walking past the doorway! Ha ha! I get a good laugh from thinking of that, as that would be a complete reversal from my personality!
Don't worry at all about your visit, you will be in good hands. Just have someone go with you to be there with you when you wake up.

Old 06-02-2002, 03:32 PM   #5

LibraryLynn HB User
I had my wisdom teeth pulled on May 10th, and I had IV sedation. First, they gave me happy gas, so when they went to put the IV needle in, I simply didn't care that they were poking me. Within seconds of the doctor telling me I'd get sleepy, I woke up in the recovery room...in real time, it was about 30 minutes. I had no bad after effects of the sedation, at all. I was very, very thankful I went that route because I was anxious about the procedure. Go into the sedation with a calm mind...it was a godsend.

Old 06-02-2002, 03:39 PM   #6

Araminta HB User
Woke up sobbing? Why? Were you confused?

What I'm really worried about is my heartrate and blood pressure. I think I might have an undiagnosed problem...I'm also afraid I'll like have a heart attack during the procedure or that the surgeon won't even give me IV sedation once he sees my vitals.

Just checked my pulse, 96, and my blood pressure, 154/102. I am sooo scared. I don't think he'll give me the sedation at all now; I'll probably be hospitalized for my heart. *panics*

[This message has been edited by Araminta (edited 06-02-2002).]

Old 06-03-2002, 03:41 PM   #7
(female)

bunny byron HB User
Araminta, you MUST calm down, sweetie. No wonder your blood pressure is high! (But it's not even THAT high). The dentist will look at your stats in that case and if they pose a potential threat to your wellbeing while undergoing this procedure, then you are right, he or she will not do the procedure at that time. And then what would be the worst thing? He will ensure that you seek the medical attention that you need anyway for any as yet undiagnosed condition. This is a good thing. Perhaps he will then take care of your wisdom teeth under safer conditions. also a good thing. Perhaps he will recommend having it done in the hospital. So be it; you will certainly have people such as an anesthesiologist at hand and others in case anything at all should happen. Which it won't! Remember, in addition to caring for their patients, we always hope at least, doctors do not want to do stupid things that may get them sued. Unless you have reason to believe that your surgeon is incompetent, and I don't think you would be going to him in that case, have a little faith, yes? You will not be the first case like yours that he has ever seen or worked on. Chin up. We're rooting for you.

Oh, and I have no idea why I woke up crying. I heard myself sobbing even before I was really awake. It's like THAT's what woke me up. In fact, when I saw my husband there, I even asked him, "Why am I crying?" It was kind of funny, actually.

Old 06-04-2002, 04:41 PM   #8

Liz N HB User
I had all 4 wisdom teeth out on the 20th of May in hospital under general anaesthetic, I know that's a bit different to IV sedation, but it's the same in the way that your teeth are removed without you having any recollection! Anyway, I woke up crying too in the recovery room, it was really interesting to hear someone else say that they did too! The recovery nurse told me that it is common but I thought it was really strange and I have no idea why I was crying!

It's now two weeks since I got my teeth out and I am feeling great, haven't had any pain for a week, just big holes left behind I can eat normally too which is fantastic. I'm just so relieved it's all over with!

Araminta, how did it all go for you? I hope you felt more calm and had no problems

Liz

Old 06-06-2002, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

4given1 HB User
LOL! I woke myself up crying, too! I must have looked a MESS! Mouth full of guaze pads...mascara running. Well, maybe the nurses got a good laugh!

Old 06-08-2002, 05:09 AM   #10

Araminta HB User
Hi everyone!

I'm okay now. Aside from having lost *12* pounds in a week, I'm all right. I only took painkillers the first two days, and the pain wasn't so bad at all. The worst thing about recovering is not being able to brush or floss well; I have moderate periodontal disease so I'm a little antsy about my gums at the moment. The holes don't hurt at all, but they seem to be oozing and smell a bit. Is this normal?

The only problem I had during the procedure was the reaction I had to the nitrus oxide. It made me very ill, and my mom was in the room at the time and told me that my pulse jumped to 130 bpm. It must have gone down, because the surgeon didn't even mention it, and I'm sure if there had been a real problem he would have suggested I see my regular doctor. *sigh of relief*

[This message has been edited by Araminta (edited 06-08-2002).]

Old 06-08-2002, 07:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Wink

well done http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif Araminta im glad your doing fine http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif is the nitrous oxide the same thing as they use for iv??? good luck
its ok araminta ive just done a search and its the laffing gas

[This message has been edited by niecsey (edited 06-08-2002).]

Old 06-08-2002, 02:43 PM   #12
(female)

bunny byron HB User
Smile

Good job, Araminta! So glad to hear that you are fine and now you don't have to worry about that anymore.

Neicey, how do you get the exclamation point and waving smiley face?

Old 06-09-2002, 07:16 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Wink

hi when you reply click smilies legend and you will get a choice of smilies to use good luck
aint she great getting her wisdom teeth out ??? take care

Old 06-09-2002, 04:19 PM   #14
(female)

bunny byron HB User

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by bunny byron (edited 06-09-2002).]

Old 06-09-2002, 04:38 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

niecsey,

Thanks for the information about the "smiles legend" http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

bunny byron,

It looks like you figured out how to do the bouncing too. Now, it's my turn to play with the icons....

Have a great day, everyone.

Closed Thread