It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2002, 07:50 PM   #1

wisdom HB User
Unhappy PLEASE HELP!! Sensitive 8 months after fillings

I have always had good teeth. Occasional fillings, but nothing else really. In October of last year I had two fillings done on my upper left side. They were back to back. Both molers. One of the front of one, and one in front of that one on the back of the other. The dentist that filled them seemed new and nervous. She dropped the silver bands almost down my throat three times during the procedure! Anyway, I had to go back four times that same week because she didnt drill down a very obvious highpoint and it just hurt so bad still. She told me that the filling was deep and to give it about a month to settle down. She also gave me a fluid of some sort to irrigate it. Then I moved out of state that next week.

To this day, I still have problems and cannot chew on them. The pain/throbing/sensitivity to hot and cold went away, but I cannot chew with it. It hurts to bite down on it!! I have been to a dentist here now and she said it may be fractured. A small crack could be causing my discomfort. So I let her do a crown (my first one ever) and the temporary is now in my mouth. I will get the permanent one Friday. However, during the procedure the novicane wore off and I could feel MAJOR sensitivity to cold. Like when she would spray the high pressure air in there, or even put the clay in to mold it. I almost jumped out of my chair. I can still feel sensivitivy under the crown and still cannot bite on it! I am at my wits end with these two teeth! I also now have FIVE cavities on the other side that NEED to be filled but im afraid I wont be able to chew at all! AND..It seems like the other of the two teeth on the left may need attention too, but no one seems to know WHAT IS GOING ON! What can I do?

I had the white composite fillings done. Can that be why? I am ready for dentures at this point! Over TWO teeth! I dont know what to do and would appreciate ANY response to this as soon as possible. I just want to chew again without pain.

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2002, 07:54 PM   #2

wisdom HB User
P.S. I forgot to mention that the dentist showed me my
xrays of the two fillings and they are no where near the nerve! She doesnt think it is nerve related. So then why when I bite down does it feel as if it is nerve related?

Old 06-12-2002, 06:44 AM   #3

antoni HB User
Hi Wisdom,

I can definitely relate to your problems. I don't know it --- sounds like a nerve problem or crack because the fillings weren't done right. Sometimes cracks don't show on x-rays. In my experience even if one tooth is "damaged", it can affect the ones around it.I would get a second or third opinion, the fillings should reduce the sensitivity not make it worse. It looks like they weren't done right.

I have to tell you what happened to me a year ago with 9 fillings done in the back because I am still disgusted that I was taken advantage of because of the money. I went through 5 different dentists in one year because my bite was lopsided because the fillings weren't done right(too high in some parts too much too removed in other areas) and none of the dentists could identify the problem. I had 5 small white fillings put in on the back right molars and 4 on the left side through a drillless procedure called AIR ABRASION which is a SCAM to give small fillings when they are not needed as far as I'm concerned. It's for kids and people who can't take a drill for small cavities if necessary at all.

The small cavities just could have been kept under watch in my case. Like you, my dentist was new just had gotten his license to practice dentistry and I believe didn't know what he was doing.
Right away all my teeth were sensitive for months. I went through dentist after dentist that couldn't find anything wrong. Finally one dentist redid the filling on one of the big first molars but it still was "too high" in one part and too much structure removed on another part. I saw dentist after dentist that just told me the nine fillings were not even necessary and just to "let it go" -- nothing was wrong.. Meanwhile, my teeth were sensitive and my bite was ruined from the natural.

Finally out of desperation my friend who is very picky suggested I see her dentist to see what could be done. He redid the filling on the problems molar again because it was "too high" in one spot and "too low" in another and knew exactly how to correct it so fit right with the bottom tooth. I saw him for 2 more adjustments until he got the top tooth to fit into the one below it. Now I wonder why 5 dentists before him could not tell that my teeth were not fitting right together. So now all my sensitivity is gone pretty much and my bite is better except for a small spot in the back.
But I want to tell other people on this site about my VERY BAD EXPERIENCE WITH AIR ABRASION fillings. If I had so much trouble, I feel bad because they are doing this to kids.

But I know after having these 9 white fillings I never want to have another filling done for the rest of my life. If you have to get more fillings done for your current cavities, I would be very selective in finding and trusting the right dentist to do the work. When I got my second and third opinions, I went to dentists that had done work on friends and family because I could trust no dentist I would get let;s say from the yellow pages.

Good Luck

Old 06-15-2002, 08:43 PM   #4

wisdom HB User
Update
I went to another dentist here in town (my boyfriends dentist) to get a second opinion, which at this point wont really help since im in the middle of my "crown experience", but he said that he believes I need a root canal. So I told my other dentist, and she has scheduled me for a root canal on July 1st. I will be gone for two weeks and will have to live with my temporary crown (which I hear is no big deal) until I get back. They dont want to put on the permanent crown and then drill through it and have to fill it afterward. In the mean time, I am having some pain, still cant chew on it, and also one of my cavities on the other side is getting sensitive to chew on.

I have been reading on the board about root canals and how sometimes they dont solve the problem. Does anyone have any advice for me? I have never had one done, but I cannot imagine after all this time, and now this, it *not* working! I will be going to an endo, which from what it sounds like, is a good thing. I just want this to end. I want to chew again. *sigh* Im slowly resorting to a soft food diet.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

-Wis

Closed Thread